The :01 Remaining Scenario Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BAY0U BENGAL, Nov 22, 2009.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i thought it was dickson.

i think everyone agrees with you, but feel like arguing other points.

2. downtown

downtown Founding Member

If we had thrown down the middle of the field for 25, we would have still been short a yard and Ole Miss would have taken over. Actually, that would have been easier to watch.

Without a doubt, they should have at least ran it on 1st down because you have to see if you can get closer first by running it. Ridley is a strong dude and there was much less chance of us going backward with a straight run. Ole Miss was playing the pass at the end of the game and blitzing the HOUSE on every play. A run might have actually really nailed them.

Look, I usually don't like to rely on a long FG to try and win a game either. But we didn't play well in that game and had almost a miracle turn of events that got us into position to steal one at the end. You don't take the opportunity away from your team to steal one with a very capable kicker who has nailed one from 50 already and doesn't exactly look nervous. FG's at the end are never sure things and many times you see blocks or total shanks. But we were extremely fortunate to be in that position and should have been smarter with play calling. If you miss it, you lose, but at least you had your shot.

The hail mary is probably all we could do with 9 seconds because we had to go such a long way and JJ takes a while to deliver the ball as we all know.

Yes, they did, but the screen was about 43 yards behind the line of scrimmage due to Ole Miss blitzing every player on passes. That wasn't Ridley's fault. He doesn't lose yards like that on a run.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The staff did it in the Georgia game, it was almost the same scenario, and we ran Charles Scott twice and got the TD.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Exactly, you have to be able to run a slant or quick comeback route when they are blitzing 7 people.

5. dudley

dudley oops!

I think the 1 second should have really been 3 seconds and Miles should have protested and made them review it.

Anyway 1 second is not enough time to get 11 men on the field, line up properly and snap the ball. The game was really lost back upfield when Jefferson let himself get sacked. I mean DAMMM, how bonehead was that?
    The real fault though was the play that was called (Crowton?).

At that point they had 1 timeout, which they needed to setup for a field goal. They should have stopped the clock by running out of bounds but Ridley tried to make yardage. Then after wasting 20 seconds they called their last timeout.

6. dudley

dudley oops!

At this time I was going crazy. Nobody was doing anything right. Was this Miles fault or was it the players fault or was it Crowton's fault.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

this makes sense, but things had been going pretty well with the last drive for a td (basically all passes) and a long completion to randle after the onside.

8. downtown

downtown Founding Member

That's true. I might have tried a pass on 2nd if we had gotten nothing on a run. But it would have to have been a quick slant route designed to go to a certain receiver. That way there's no real chance for a sack and either it's incomplete or a quick completion. But they set it up for a sack to happen with the play calling. I think we were pushing our luck with so many passes.

9. boblinfoto

boblinfoto Ohio LSU fan/artist

Miles said he approved of the pass plays from Crowton. So both of them were looking for pizzaz rather than a victory. Sometimes, it's easier to get the win and forget the showmanship. Maybe Miles will remember that the next time he has the thought. Get the win! Get the win! You're not being paid to be rash when you have the game in hand!

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The bottom line is the clocking of the ball happened with 1 second left.

Meaning we got the play off successfully (well obviously a dreadful outcome but the play transpired).

The FG would have happened. Whether we snap it cleanly and kick it through the uprights we will never know. The fact that the play would have transpired, absolutely without question.