The 1908 Season: Title or no?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DocBrooks, Aug 16, 2006.

1. DocBrooks

DocBrooks Founding Member

Why is it that we don't count 1908 as a championship year or at least a split of the championship? I don't know much about that LSU team or season in particular but I can't believe how many other schools officially claim inflated numbers of national titles, counting situations that are identical to 1908 LSU. Hell, I believe USC even declared a national title for one of their teams a decade or so after the season. If Bama fans can say they have 12 titles with a straight face, I say we have 3 then. Anyone want to tell me why I shouldn't or support my claim of LSU's first title? The way I see it, if all those other schools are going to claim their questionable and even laughable titles, I want ours to count too. I'm sure someone will say we're better than that to claim 1908, but I'm sorry, I'm completely blinded with passion for LSU and will do just that.

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Sounds like I am reading Sound Off of Mobile's Press Register. Their is a National Championship debate everyday. Why not claim it? Princeton has like 27 titles from the 1800's, according to the paper. Also, it says Bama has 17, only claiming 12. Reading Auburn fans' responses is quite humorous.

3. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Football rules were so different in the early era that comparisons are meaningless. There was no forward pass and eligibilty requirements varied all over the place. Major universities played athletic clubs sometimes.

Doc Fenton, the 1908 superstar and Hall-of-Famer is rumored to have played four years at a northeastern college before playing another four at LSU.

So records are usually broken down into the modern era and the pre-modern era. LSU counts the modern era from the start of the SEC in 1933.

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Great info Red, thanks! :thumb:

6. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Also, i'm not sure if it's true, but many of my knowledgable college football friends have told me that LSU was the first southern team to win a national championship. i mean if this is true, i think it is something we should be proud of and something we should openly claim. and from what i've seen most books have LSU sharing it with Yale/princeton(one of those schools) so i say it is legit.

7. kcal

kcal Founding Member

what red isn't telling you is that he roomed with doc at lsu :)

8. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

The man knows his stuff.

9. DocBrooks

Well, although I agree that what you've written should be the way everyone should count titles, and I also think it is honorable for LSU to make that distinction. However, seeing that so many other schools lay claim to some pretty weak titles, in particular a certain other SEC school, I wish LSU would officially recognize the 1908 title and fans should too. I for one, from this day forth, will recognize LSU's first title which brings our total to three. :thumb: There, it's done. I hope others join me and spread the word.

10. DocBrooks

Oh yea, just as an example... And I hate to use this as an example because it involves USC. If I remember correctly, Alabama claims they won the national title in 1978, the year the AP selected USC as number one. Both teams finished with one loss I believe, what was Alabama's one loss? That's right, you've guessed it, USC. I may be wrong about the details of this, but it's what I remember from stories. Correct me if I'm wrong.