THE 2012-3 Pre-Season LSU Men's Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 23, 2012.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Ok, with the bye week in pigskin, let's start the annual, "try to create SOME hoops buzz" thread on TF.com for LSU hoops fans.

Look, there are lots of things to get excited about. New coach, new coaching staff, some left over buzz from the 2013 recruiting trail (welcome to LSU, Odoh, Deng, Mickey and Quarterman in 2013!). This coaching staff has had to "do it all" in a short amount of time, and hopefully, even to the "casual" hoops fan, there's something afoot in Tigertown for hoops.

For those that actually have some brain share left for sports other than football, yes, College basketball started some time ago. Midnight madness, college practices, etc. --it's underway. Let's use this thread to track LSU mens' hoops going ons as we near the first exhibition, Nov. 5th.

With so much buzz on the recruiting trail, we forget that the primary job a coach has is actually to coach (and develop) players. While talent does win championships (see Kentucky), the underlying lining of what is a team made of in their hearts, minds and bodies is something often underestimated in eyes of fans, and the difference between making and not making a post-season tourney (which let's be frank--is the first step for LSU basketball). In the past, LSU hoops has suffered from the un-touted things like strength and conditioning, injuries, team "chemistry" and false hopes based upon pre-season optimism and the fact that "paper players" often don't translate into players on the court. Afterall, who could have known the impact of a guy like Anthony Hickey Jr., an unranked recruit by most accounts last year? Likewise, the on-going development of a guy like Justin Hamilton, who goes from Big 12 afterthought to NBA draft pick?

Now, you've got a LSU team picked 11th (yes, remember out of a new SEC 14) by the media. http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticl...166&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205717973&DB_OEM_ID=5200
    Is that fair? I don't know--probably. You've got an untested coach and untested players. It's the right "logical" pick I suppose. With only the likes of Miss St. (left in shambles after exit of Stanbury and Moltrie), Auburn (not sure this Calipari disciple has performed) and South Carolina (watch out for this one) faring worse--largely due to talent on paper. Of course, if paper won games, UK would have 4 championships in a row by now. I think for LSU, surprising folks is a possibility. Just like, I think Frank Martin at USC will also surprise. Not earth shattering surprises mind you, but maybe creeping up that one or two or three spots. I see someone like Ole Miss, Tennessee, or Alabama, perhaps stumbling. Whereas, a Vanderbilt -- really that down and out with Coach Stallings at the helm? Could they, or LSU or USC be a surprise team, like Tennessee was a surprise team last year? That's the hope.

What's clear is that for once in a long time, the "spirit" of LSU basketball perhaps has taken a turn. For oh so long, LSU has won (or lost) with somewhat of a mechanical, plodding, grind it out form of play. Defense wins championships--they say, but if you have no offense, it doesn't (take note LSU football). I can't really remember when LSU won with it's offense (I have to go back to Chris Jackson days?). Well, that may be changing now. And, fans hopefully are excited about that. What Johnny Jones wants to bring is a passion for running and a "smart up-tempo" game--and a system proven at of all places North Texas. Will it work at LSU? I think most pundits have put a big question mark on that.... hence an SEC 11th pick. But, dig a little deeper and you have to say, Jones' ability to recruit and convince players OF his system has helped. Corban Collins, Malik Morgan, Shane Hammink, Shavon Coleman, Charles Carmouche--all players that could benefit from Jones' style and all new players to LSU. On top of that, Hickey and Stringer are both more well suited for that game. The key will be two things: shooting percentage (are the shots smart shots taken quick and made, or not?) and is the team defense and rebounding adequate to keep LSU in games?

What Jones will tell you is that the practices have been spirited. The players are buying into the system. http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticl...166&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205714086&DB_OEM_ID=5200

Of course, that's what all coaches say at the beginning of the season. Some surprises, perhaps? Well Eddie Ludwig is getting praise from Jones--he actually will also benefit from a faster pace where players are moving around more and the other team can't just outsize you for rebounds. As are of course, Hickey and O'Bryant. I think that Coleman will be key as will Carmouche. Where are these two relatively "senior" players on a team without them? We also have to hope for a "freshman unknown"--every year in college basketball there are a number of freshman who play beyond their years--could that be Morgan, Hammink or Collins? If one of them establishes themselves, we could make that jump forward.

As with teams that that play quick and shoot fast, you live and die with the shot. See Pitino's UK team that beat Brown's vaunted Shaq' team. Could Jones replicate that kind of system at LSU? Hopefully. I for one will be very anxious for tip-off.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticl...166&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205717856&DB_OEM_ID=5200

:)

2. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

While I'm not overly optimistic for this season I think we are going to do OK. Any success will be a pleasant surprise.

3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I know it is hard for most to even contemplate basketball in the midst of football season, but thanks TGer'nLHornLand for getting us pumped up and knowledgeable about the upcoming basketball season. It's nice to have the insight and to follow the progress. When they actually get it turned around, we will all have a good appreciation of the challenges of rebuilding, installing a new philosophy, and going through the growing pains. Makes you appreciate the accomplishments much more. Keep posting, amigo.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

Absolutely. Likely won't have as much time to post these days, but when I do, I'll try to give some thought and detail to the hoops posts.

Btw, just read last night that Athlon Sports picks LSU 12th out of 14 (only ahead of Miss St and USC). But, Coach Johnny Jones gets some pub as the #5 first-year coach on their top incoming coaches to watch list. I think the national pundits are slowly and quietly giving CJJ his due... first for a very underrated job done at UNT, but also more recently, his recruiting touch. For this year again, to me, it's whether LSU can jump up, bite some folks here and there that they shouldn't, and surprise. To me a positive "hopes and goals" for the season is, establish CJJ's system and prove to folks that it's competitive and fun to play in/watch. Struggle mightily with it, and it disrupts recruiting going into 2013 and 2014, which is, as we've learned from the past, the key to CJJ's longevity here at LSU and the road back to consistency for LSU. 2013 recruiting is already a pretty nice step in the right direction, but a good competitive season convinces Jarrell Martin to stay in LA. It also makes inking a nice deep 2014 class more of a reality--a top 15 signing class for those two years (which is a real possibility with some of the 2014 kids lining up in LA and some of the reach internationally that this staff has) + Jones and Kirby's coaching, I think leads to some real positive progress and consistency.

Here's the line up of LSU's schedule. http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=5200&SPID=2166&SPSID=27828

29 regular schedule games, 1 exhibition, and 1 guaranteed SEC tourney game. Anyone care to lob in their predictions on where the Tigers end up?

Also, everyone the Nov 5th exhibition game is FREE for all comers.

5. TGer'nLHornLand

6. TGer'nLHornLand

Latest reports out of yesterday's practice, throught the eyes of Times-Pic writers. A little bit more color than what was reported by CJJ in his presser.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2012/10/lsu_basketball_notes_coleman_c.html

What's interesting is the shaping up of potential starters. The top "new" players seemingly making a push are Coleman and Morgan. Where perhaps we're looking at "starters" swinging among Hickey, Stringer, Morgan, Coleman and O'Bryant, and depending on the make up of the other team (bigger vs. smaller) we might event see Ludwig play 4 and a shift up of Coleman to 3, perhaps Morgan and Stringer interchanging.

Collins and Hammink certainly are getting good pub, but could they be on a solid second team? With a press, and alot of running, expect everyone to get minutes regardless of who starts.

7. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

8. TGer'nLHornLand

Not a ton to share from SEC Media day last Thursday. It always cracks me up that SEC football media days are like these grind it out reporting sessions, and the hoops coaches seem to get like 3-5 minutes at the podium... the coverage is miles apart. What's scary is that the SEC, with the addition of Missouri and Texas A&M, perhaps gets a much bigger jump in basketball respect (or should anyway).

Not alot that's new coming from CJJ...http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticl...166&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205719895&DB_OEM_ID=5200

http://www.secondemand.com/#!/view/video/null/2012-SEC-Basketball-Media-Day---LSUs-Johnny-Jones

It'll be interesting this week as it's the last full week of practice before exhibitions next week. There will also be a behind closed doors scrimmage late this week, I believe.

9. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

10. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member