The AAF, XFL, and the future of college football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TBTrumpet, Jan 2, 2019.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

there are about 130 NCAA football teams, the smaller schools would never go for paying players,.. their votes count the same, and they have already blocked any move towards allowing stipends to players, they can't afford it. Maybe the big schools, a minority, would favor looking into stipends.

the big schools would have to go off on their own to make those kind of changes, create a new NCAA division I, or such

how much do the players get? If all the schools didn't pay the same, then the players would go to the schools who paid the most,.. put the money into a trust fund until later, and you'd end up with a situation like,.. "come play at Notre Dame and get $700,000 when you leave"

would all the players on the team get the same amount?.. the punter paid the same as the QB?.. freshman paid the same as seniors?.. lowly reserves paid the same as starters?.. what about redshirts and greyshirts?

basketball players would want their money too,.. and how about the other sports?.. do you think the women's team players wouldn't demand to be paid?.. Lawyers would get paid the most I think.

Who's complaining?.. Full ride scholarship players are getting plenty already,.. University of Oregon, a public school,.. the total estimated cost of attendance, is $27,366 for residents and $51,870 for nonresidents, per year, multiply that by 5 years,.. and the players are pampered in many ways, for example; UofO has built a student athlete learning center, with personal tutors,.. it is a fucking palace,.. general population students are not allowed to use it.

I think college athletes should thank their lucky stars, they eat better, live in nicer dorms, and get lots of perks,.. plus getting all the fame, prestige, and women who come with it.

Who's complaining?.. just the elite players,.. we should destroy a hundred years of tradition, so they can get filthy rich a couple of years sooner?

2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

If schools pay football more than other sports you will see no end to the Title IX lawsuits.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Escrow for injured players relative to loss of potential earnings. Maybe set a min of $500k differential. Rather than being funded by schools or insurance companies, TV pays some percentage into escrow held by NCAA on behalf on injured players (basically self insure with terms more beneficial to players).

HalloweenRun likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Good idea on paper but how much would be the upper limit? For example Greedy will get close to $20 million in guaranteed money on his first contract. I don't think $500k or even $1 million would have changed his decision.

lsu-i-like and ParadiseiNC like this.
  5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

What the hell is this LFL? Think I might want to get deeper into that.

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Cost differential between injured income vs original income. Pay back with earnings you make. If there isn’t enough money, get a percentage of total.

7. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

Sure that works too. The absolute wrong thing to do is demand that these players are required to play in meaningless bowl games (or else face penalty or fine) which do nothing for the players other than risk injury but is a cash grade for the colleges.

8. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

The other issue is that you are going to have a 24 team league at best, because there are only 24 schools whose athletic department actually turns a profit.

9. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

This entire discussion came about because Halloween said the players who sit out should be forced to pay back their entire tuition for all the years they were in college. My point was that was a horrible idea and much stupider than actually just giving them some money so they don't sit out.

I want to own my own NFL team. Why can't I have one?! ?! It takes money to play. FBS teams can still function under old rules but wouldn't be eligible for competing for the national title.

You're ignoring the fact that schools have been paying players for years. This is a fact. We just saw men's basketball have this issue a few months ago. My suggestion is bring it all to the light where it can be sanctioned correctly instead of a free for all as it is now.

Yes it would change things, but the system as is is already broken.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  10. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

I agree about cleaning it up, exposing the cheating to light, ban the guilty for life I say. I hate that there is cheating, and want to pretend it's not happening.

I support the idea of the schools buying future earning insurance for players. Paying the players just won't work

I want an MLB team,

enjoy the off season, buddy