The AAF, XFL, and the future of college football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TBTrumpet, Jan 2, 2019.

1. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

Yes I could see insurance as a good half measure.

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I guess I am a team kinda guy. Others are out for number one. Just how it is.

3. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

You're not a team kind of guy if you think forcing the kids to pay back years of tuition because they sit out a meaningless bowl game that is only there to make schools money is the right thing to do. The team supports the players sitting.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

In 2013:

The fair market value for the average FBS football player is $137,357 per year, and the fair market value for the average men's basketball player is $289,031 per year.

Right now the average player earns just $23,204 in scholarship money.....

Findings from this study offer an indictment of the principle of amateurism used by the ncaa to enforce a system that distributes the wealth generated by big money college sport programs away from the players and redirects it to coaches, administrators, conference commissioners, bowl executives, colleges and universities, and corporate entities. College sport officials have created a system of inequity that exploits young people and brings dishonor to the academy by:

• denying revenue-producing athletes the opportunity to negotiate on their own behalf
    • limiting their ability to transfer
    • restricting the compensation they receive and failing to compensate them for the use of their names, images, and likenesses
    • failing to provide adequate protections in the form of health benefits
    • placing extreme demands on their time, energies, and psyches
    • barring athletes from pursuing sponsorship deals
    • limiting athlete access to due process and fair enforcement reviews
    https://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-much-college-athletes-are-worth-2013-3

"NCAA players do get some perks. Scholarships are a big bonus. The use of athletic equipment, fitness centers and facilities and paid trainers is another. All together, it’s been estimated that college athletes get non monetary benefits of about $50,000 to $130,000 per year.....

The figure of $1 billion is often thrown around to describe the size of college sports as an industry. But that $1 billion is just the NCAA’s cut. By far the biggest chunk of college athletics money is taken in by the schools. By the NCAA’s estimate, its member schools make about $6 billion from ticket sales and merchandise sales to regular season games. They also rake in an eye-popping $5 billion from “student fees associated with school athletic programs.” With all the uproar over rising tuition costs, an argument could be made that universities are balancing their sports budgets on the backs of students.

All in all, college sports is not a billion dollar industry. Adding NCAA money to school ticket money and student athletic fee money, it’s a $12.4 billion dollar industry.
    https://moneynation.com/how-much-money-does-the-ncaa-make/

For your top 10%, the value of a scholarship and a nice place to work out doesn't seem right when the school uses your name and talent to make a lot of money. Perhaps players could "bank" some percent of merchandise sales in which the funds would then become available once you declare after year 3 or 4. And also allow a similar banking of funds for ALL players to be derived from a percent of conference TV deals. There will always be players to fill rosters at smaller schools who don't get the TV exposure. The NFL is filled with players from those schools so at the end of the day, the ship rights itself.

5. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

I'm sick of our society pandering to the 3%. I'll say it again, let the kids go pro right out of high school if they want, they can serve hamburgers after they wash out. We don't need the superstars to enjoy college football, without them we'd have more parity, our players would stay four years and sitting out bowl games wouldn't be an issue.

Winning is all some fans care about, let them watch the pro game. I like the college game, I'm a fan of the competition between schools, I love the tradition and the school spirit,.. I don't want it all thrown away to satisfy the 3%, the spoiled elite athletes.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

In most situations, I agree regarding the top percent. However, if you are talking about short-term, high-production situations like college football, the best performers always get the attention and they should.

Winning is all that most fans care about....really. I prefer college to the pros but I prefer winning to losing 365 days a year.

All that is great stuff, I agree. But we have what you are talking about right now. Since 2009, bama has been IT or in the discussion 7 different times, and the SEC has been in either the final four or two EVERY single year. Is that not top 3%? I mean there's some great FCS teams and rivalries but I have no idea who played for their title. I don't watch the NBA much anymore but it's still more than I watch the WNBA. There's nothing I love more than the USC/irish rivalry but the last few year's the game has sucked. I am happier that bama lost than I am Clemson won and I wasn't gonna watch....but I did. I want to win, I like watching winners. That's life....imo.

Not all the top performers are spoiled though. Plus if you consider the economic situation that a lot of players are coming from when they get to college, you can understand why they want more money...and now. Some of these kids can't even afford to attend camps where they might have been noticed by a D1 school. They have families they feel responsibility for because they can provide based on God-given talent. When you get momma telling you she needs a new car and a house and you attend a school where donors are literally giving millions, ncaa administrators are making bank, coaches are making bank, and it's YOUR name on the jersey for sale in the bookstore....tough to ask someone to pass that up. Most adults wouldn't.

lsu_dane, GiantDuckFan and Bengal B like this.
  7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Student athletes get great benefits or they wouldn’t do it. I like the idea of a catastrophe protection; the rest of it, cry me a river.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  8. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

sometimes I like to sing along

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  9. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

This is such a shit attitude. You give all the blame to this imaginary 3% of "spoiled athletes" (the majority of whom are actually from poor backgrounds) while ignoring the entirely corrupt and exploitive nature of the colleges you so love that first caused these "spoiled athletes" to speak out.

You are the exact mark that the NCAA is hoping for. Someone who is so wrapped up in keep this so called tradition that they are willing to not only write the NCAA and the colleges a pass but actually blame the players for trying to change the current corrupt system.

I love the traditions of college sports as much as the next person, but you should never be so beholden to tradition that you are willing to excuse and justify exploitation.

10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Exploitation... that’s a bit much. These athletes are getting world class training, exposure, and even academic assistance. They are welcome to sit out college and try to make the NFL free of exploitation.