The Airlines

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by NoLimitMD, Mar 18, 2006.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I used to detest Southwest Airlines, and their cattle-car process. However, as the big, outdated airlines struggle and haplessly ding their customers for more cash to support their bad business model, I'm finding that I anxiously wait for the traditional airlines to go bankrupt and put us all out of their misery. Here are a couple of examples of things that are just rubbing me the wrong way.

Northwest -- I read that they're going to start charging an extra $15 for aisle seats and exit row seats. Nevermind the fact that they assign exit row seats only at check-in, and that aisle seats aren't exactly luxurious.

Continental -- The 50 lb. limit on bags. They would rather you just check two bags instead of one, and then deal with lugging them around on your vacation or business trip. My wife and I just went to Mexico, and our big bag weighed 65 pounds. SO, we had to pay an extra $25. On the return flight, we got it down to 58 pounds. And yep, another $25. Over $3/lb?? That's absurd. And the kicker is that the ticket agent on the return flight had the nerve to say, "You don't have another bag you can put some stuff in?" Now clearly, we were checking two bags, and had a backpack for a carry-on. Where in the blue hell were we going to have a third bag stashed? When I replied, "No, do you see another bag somewhere?" he just looked stunned, as if all travelers have another bag ready for just such an occassion. I had an almost uncontrollable urge to stuff him in the bag.

Continental -- The frequent flier program is now a joke. Try booking a ticket for any less than 50,000 miles round trip now. The miles are practically worthless now, especially when you tack on the fees associated with using miles. Last I checked, SWA still has a viable frequent flier program.

Kind of a funny story about the perils of booking through Orbitz. One really cool thing is that they call you with flight updates. Now the odd thing is that we had a layover in Guadalajara. The gate information for our next flight made no sense, and nobody at the airport seemed to know where the gate was. Keep in mind, it was even posted on the departure TVs. Finally, a security guard told us that we were flying out of the other GDL airport, which was kind of around the corner from the main airport. Very odd arrangement, and none of the flight documentation mentioned this. It wasn't a big deal, as we had plenty of time between flights, but was kinda funny.

SUMMARY: The government should no longer prop up the airlines (or any other business, for that matter -- ahem, farmers) with antiquated business models. Let them go bankrupt if need be, and let capitalism straighten this out.

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

The last thing the airlines the Northwest Aisle thing is to reserve a Aisle or Exit. I guess after people snatch up all the windows and good middle seats they will then start filling the aisles. Northwest has probably in my opinion done the most stripping down of any airline. The domestic flights have not shown a movie since 9-11. Then they started limiting the meals on flights. Then they stooped to selling the meals. Flying out of Lafayette on Northwest airliink without doing a rule buster for milage is a joke. 35K miles is the minmum. Flying Delta, Northwest and Cont. during the past year. Cont can hardly keep a schedule. Delta seems ok. And Northwest is looking for the next way to charge extra.

Taxes and fees account for around 70 bucks on my tickets. Cont also has started acting like all the tickets are one way. I use to be able to change my return flights without a charge. except for the 50 which now is 100. But now cont. wants you to pay the difference in a walk up ticket and you original purchase. I guess they figure how else you gonna get home now. The last change I had cost me 600 bucks because of a one day change.

3. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

I got charged by continental an extra 25 bucks for my sea bag being over the weight limit by 5 pounds. this was in the summer of 2003 after I just got back from Iraq. I was in uniform because I wanted to show up in baton rouge and suprise my mom at her work.

I was IN UNIFORM too.

I went and spoke to the manager and he said "policy is policy."

So then my other friend who brought me there started making a scene, saying "Continental Airlines do NOT support our nations military, go find another airline to fly on!"

needless to say they didnt end up charging me for the extra weight. and then said they were sorry.

completely ridiculous.

4. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Funny, no matter which airline, I always got moved to first class. Free drinks too. I guess it's a Marine thing. :hihi:

5. USNavyTiger

I have been moved to first class before while in uniform, just not that time.

those people were PRICKS.

6. col reb

col reb Founding Member

Come on Salty....just having a real seat was "first class" to you guys. You usually have to stand at the door with a strap attached to your chute.:hihi:

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Airlines are not a government welfare program. They are in the business of making money. A large part of their income is cargo and mail delivery. Your extra 5 or 10 pounds is money out of their pocket. The airline employee is only doing his job. If you owned a store, would you want your employees to give away merchandise? It is possible to fly using 25,000 miles. You just have to adapt your schedule to seat availablity. These are usually non-peak times when the seats would be empty anyway. Why would the airline want to give away seats during peak travel dates and times? You can fly free during those times but it costs more miles. Just like it costs more money to purchase a ticket during peak times.
    As long as the premium is placed on safety, I can put up with all of the little hassles of flying. Get me from point A to Point B alive and I'm a happy camper.

8. USNavyTiger

::whoosh::

9. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

I just wish they would do something about the leg room. I'm a tall fella (6'6'') and my legs and knees always ache during the flight. The solution of course would be first class but I cannot afford that.

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I fly every week on Delta, and my only complaint is their stupid zone boarding program. When I don't get an upgrade to first I like to get an aisle seat. It never fails that I'll board in zone 2, and the schmuks with the middle and window and middle seats are in zone 3 and 4 requiring me to get up twice.