The Airlines

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by NoLimitMD, Mar 18, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Ask to be seated on the emergency exit row. There is more legroom there.

When I was a young man, I found it curious that I was often seated at the window on the exit row, Finally I asked an airline manger why this was. I was told that there was a policy to seat a young man flying alone by the emergency door because studies had proved that such a person (single, male) is most likely to physically open the door and more importantly to go through it and get out of the way. People with children, couples, and older people all tended to either fool around with the door or worry about their companions instead of opening the damn door and clearing out.

When I turned 40, I found myself rarely being seated at the exit window anymore, I guess I just aged out of the prime demographic. But I still ask for a seat on the exit row to get the extra legroom.

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

It does allow you first shot at overhead storage

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'm 6-1 and that is my first option (if I don't get an upgrade) but with the online checkin, it's hard to get at those seats. I always check at the gate to see if it's available (Emergency aisle) but it's usually taken. Also, most planes are full these days, seems like. I fly over 100K miles a year but with Continental's policy of only alloting half of the actual miles to elite status for discount tickets (my company gets an 18% discount), I can only make it to Gold Status now. When I fly out of Houston (a Continental hub) to Newark (a Continental hub), it's like a freakin' Platinum convention. I insist on aisle though. On a flight over 3 hours, I'll take a later flight if I get stuck in the middle seat. That never happens though. I by my tickets at least a month in advance and get the agent to put me in an aisle at that time. I once was on a flight with Greg Osterwhatever, that giant from KU. He was in coach at the rear of the plane. I honestly don't know how he managed that.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

just because you are wearing a military uniform doesnt mean you should have everything handed to you.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I thought he was agreeing with me. You know, like whoosh: Slam Dunk.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i thought he was saying "whoosh, you missed the point, over your head". i dunno, i get confused sometimes.

7. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

No no no, I have no gripe with the agent. My issue is with the policy. And my 58 pound does NOT take money out of their pocket. You can check two bags per person, up to 50 pounds. We had a 58 pound bag and a 35 pound bag, for a grand total of 93 pounds, less than HALF of the allowable amount. My best guess is that they want to ding people that don't want to tote two bags per person (not to mention that four bags wouldn't fit in a taxi in Mexico), but do it under the auspices of their weak baggage handlers' health.

Redeeming OnePass miles used to be valuable. I completely understand not "giving away" seats during peak times. First, they're not giving away anything, since it's a marketing cost (and one for which they accrue each year.) Second, maybe it's just my bad luck, but you would think that there would be seats available a YEAR in advance, without having to use EasyPass. And adjusting a schedule is all well and good, until you realize that Americans have inexplicably minimal vacation time. Not exactly conducive to Tuesday/Wednesday travel. I understand the availability is probably a function of reduced flights (and the resulting higher occupancy), but that doesn't change the fact the miles aren't worth nearly what they used to be.

And globally, I understand they're in the business of making money. In fact, that's why I find it so laughable that the government has such a history of bailing them out for their own financial ineptitude. Combined with government's role in doling out airport rights to airlines, it's obvious that they're not exactly "competing" in a perfect market.

8. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

Nor did I say I deserved too be treated differently.

I just didnt think I deserved to pay a 25 dollar fee for a government issued seabag being around 5 pounds over the said limit.

I just thought people would treat people in the military a little better, especially in uniform, when it came to little ticky tacky things like that.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

my mistake.... you dont think you deserve anything better treatment because of the uniform.

but wait:

wait a second, i thought you didnt want special treatment!

then dont stuff your bag with more than the limit. or admit you think you deserve special treatment and get mad when you dont get it.

10. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

look *******

I had JUST got back from iraq. What was I supposed to do?
    throw away my uniforms and gear?

yeah, THAT'd go over REAL well