The assault on women in this country...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Aug 23, 2012.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

This has been going on for a while now but has just been recently brought to light by this insane Republican running for Senate in Missouri Todd Akin. In 1979 a judge in Arkansas, James Leon Holmes, (who is a federal judge appointed by Bush..shocking) said "concerns for rape victims is a red herring, because conception happens about as often as snowfall in Miami"

Henry Aldridge, 1995, a republican state representative said " the facts show that women who are raped, who are truly raped, the juices don't flow, the body functions don't work"

I love that part, "who are truly raped" he also said that "in order for conception to take place there has to be a little help"

1998 Republican Steve Freind "rape obviously is a traumatic experience, when a woman gets raped, she secretes a certain secretion, which has a tendency to kill sperm" Of course Freind said that this was based on fact, of which no proof has ever been brought to the light.

Also in 1998 Republican Fay Boozeman lost a senate race to Blanche Lincoln in Arkansas after she commented that conception was rare as a result of rape because of "god's little shield"

That crazy ass woman in Nevada that ran against Harry Reid this past year, said women who are raped and are pregnant as a result should have their child because you are making lemonade out of lemons.

Something else that is shocking is that in some states 31 to be exact, rapists who impregnate their victims, actually could get parental rights to the child. So if you are a woman who gets raped, and is impregnated, Republicans would make it illegal to get an abortion, and then in some states your attacker could file for parental rights to that child.

32,000 rapes result in pregnancy in this country per year.

The attacks on planned parenthood, the attacks on a womans right to choose, the attacks on the healthcare bill which if repealed would allow insurers to discriminate against women just for the sole purpose of being women. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would ever entertain the notion of voting for these whack jobs. I bet their tune would change if their daughter, or their mother, or sister was raped and it resutled in pregnancy.

A part of me wants to believe that they don't really believe this garbage, and that they just say they do so they can get votes from the conservative christian lunatics. But who knows.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

So apart from a couple of dumbasses saying things that were incorrect how exactly has the right assaulted women's rights? What legislation has been proposed? What clinics have been shut down?

Lasalle, we are pals. We could probably hang out and talk about dorky stuff all day. So when I ask you this, I ask it as a friend. Do you have any capacity to think for yourself?

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Misguided and out of touch.

People who have issue with abortions take issue with government tax money being send to PPH. They have no wish to end PPH. They have wish to stop funding it with tax payer money. If you look at their income, they make more than enough money to still operate. Their budget is something like 1 billion a year.

Abortions or only 3% of what PPH does.

Yea I know, there are neat accounting tricks you can point to saying the money they get goes to different areas.. Well, that is BS.

Lasalle, read what you write. Majority of republicans have no issue with preventing women anything. Abortion is legal, their opinions on that is irrelevant. Tax payer money for social issues, in all cases, is a slippery slope and neither side is right.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

HR 4971 Safe Act - Sponsored by Todd Akin, co-sponsored by Paul Ryan. Making it illegal for a woman who is raped to have an abortion. Also making abortion of pregnancy as a result of incest illegal. This house has proposed something like 38 abortion bills since they won the house in 2010.

I do think for myself, I find it amusing that someone who is a christian is asking me if I think for myself when you adopt beliefs from a wackadoo story book from the past. The quotes I posted are legit, go look them up if you want.

And yes 123, they do want to end all federal funding to PPH.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Anybody who doesn't think that the GOP has a real issue with women in this election is not paying attention. It started long ago and has only snowballed. Republican women elected Bill Clinton twice. It is not only the moderates and progressive democrats who are swing voters.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

If it is as true as you say, it is all BS pinpointed on some nutjob.

Republicans do not hate women nor do they wish to oppress them. It is absurd.

Clearly anyone with half a brain could understand Republicans have no desire to abuse, mistreat, or hold women back.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Lilly Ledbetter, Equal Pay, Transvaginal altrasounds, redefining rape in different bills, defunding planned parenthood all says different. Hell even the bill that was about violence against women, they wanted to strip that provision down.
    you're not a woman so you dont know how they feel about these things so you cant speak for them.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, those of us with full brains understand that this is just the latest in a series of faux pas by the republicans on women's issues.

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Lilly Ledbetter -- what do you mean here?

Equal pay -- women cost more for employers than the average male with regards to health costs and time taken for birthing etc. Is this added into your assessment?

Redefining rape -- Examples?

Trans vaginal ultrasounds -- what do you mean here?

The defunding of PPH is for the abortion side, 3%.. That will not end PPH.

What bill about violence against women?

I never spoke for women, if you had any reading comprehension you would of read that I am defending this generalization that republicans are attacking women. That is absurd.

Are there a few kooks out there with warped opinions, sure. Both sides have those. However lately, some of you on the left side have the broad generalizations on some really extreme topics.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

DO you have examples that directly relate Republicans assault on women in this country? Do you believe this?

Are you separating social issues from your own morality?