The assault on women in this country...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Aug 23, 2012.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

1st: Thread = derailed
    2nd: It should never be up to a government to pick and choose what businesses fail or which ones should be propped up. That is a huge over reach of power that should never be given.

2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

You are right, both sides do give welfare in different forms, but I think both the Dem's and Repubes shared in the corporate welfare shit. The only real difference is the industry's.

Corporate welfare by far exceeds welfare to the people. (Assumption)

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You see most of these women are not on welfare. Since the 1970's the number of women, including working and affluent women, who chose to have children without being married has increased dramatically. Professional women are foregoing husbands, lesbians are having kids, etc.

Then tell me . . . why does the single-mom birth rate decline under Carter and Clinton and then rose precipitously under Reagan and Bush?

[​IMG]

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Oh I thought you were jus a trouble maka. ;)

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Never say never. This country was faced with a set of circumstances not seen before, precipitated by the events of 9/11. I don't know if TARP was the single correct move to make but clearly something was needed to prevent an epic depression which would have had an economic impact on more than financial institutions and automakers. Doing nothing or borrowing more foreign $$ were not options IMO.

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Yes I imagine that purposely single mothers are in that number but neither group as you said are likely on welfare. I'm talking about the terminally poverty stricken group. The women who make a choice of welfare over an economically undesirable baby daddy.

There's a lot going on with birth rates. First of all, look at what happened to abortion numbers just prior to Carter. In 1969 there were 25,918. In 1970, 193,491, then up to 485,816, then 898,600 in 1974. From 1977-1981 under Carter, they rose to over 1.5 million. Clearly the impact of Roe v Wade was sending abortion rates ever higher which is likely to have an effect on birth rates. Under Clinton, the access to sex ed and birth control was easier so obviously the birth rate is going to be impacted. Conversely under Reagan the abortion numbers held steady.

But there is a much simpler explanation than all that. Economics. Birth rates historically decline in an economic downturn. In the 70's the birth rate declined by 18%, in the 90's it was down 15%, and during the Depression it was down 17%. People will postpone child bearing when they know they can't afford it.....unless they are on welfare. And that's the point. Welfare is an economic war on women that keeps those in poverty dependent on the government with little to no incentive to ever get off of it.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

That too.

LSUTiga likes this.
  8. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

so it is ok to save companies, but not people making 8.25 an hour, gotcha.

9. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

who do you think you are saving when you save a company?

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

What private option was on the table?

Why was there mass deregulation?