The Bama fans are going to love this.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by eric d, Dec 20, 2002.

1. eric d

eric d Founding Member

2. miketiger

miketiger Founding Member

L.S.U. was lilly white until 1971 also. I remember seeing Mike Williams in uniform and thinking how strange to see a black guy in the Tigers uniform. Now it's kind of strange to see a white guy on defence. The only thing I find kind of not true in the article is that the Southern schools had no problem competing nationaly. For instance, L.S.U. destroyed Colorado in the early 60's. We also beat Syracuse in the Sugar Bowl when they featured Floyd Little and Jim Nance in the backfield.

3. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Bama fans will have enough to keep them talking for awhile. Ronnie cottrell is sueing the NCAA and everyone else he can think of. Bama's troubles will not go way.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Was Mike Williams the first black Tiger or was it Thielen Smith? I know Mike Williams was the first black LSU All American.

5. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I don't know for sure, but I think the first black player at LSU might have come earlier than 1971. I don't know who it is, but my uncle who played for the Tigers and graduated in 1970 remembers him being on the team. Which is it, Smith or Williams?

I don't think it's fair to judge Bryant like that. For all we know, Alabama would have sent him packing had he tried to recruit blacks just after integration. Alabama fans were THAT hostile to the idea. He made his move when he felt the climate was right for change, and I won't fault him for it. I just hope the Bear's legend isn't so maligned by the PC crowd as other coaching legends have. The PC-crowd has already been very successful in vilifying Kentucky basketball titan Adolf Rupp.

6. miketiger

Now that my memory has been jogged I think Lora Hinton a running back may have been the first. I still think it was in 1971 though.

7. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I might be way off but I thought I had heard it was Terry Robiskie........?

8. miketiger

I think Robiskie played from 72 thru 75.