The Barn's New York Times Investigation

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerBait3, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

Tirk, I agree that it is just a wait and see thing. I don't think we have any athletic sanctions heading our way, as I honestly don't think the athletic department did anything.

As far as SACS, this obviously isn't a great thing to have happen after the micro-management issues a couple years ago. I don't like that it happened but I do feel it has been blown out of context just a little.

Here are a few quotes from our Interim President (Richardson) and the SACS Chief of Staff (Benberg)...

Richardson: "This really isn't an athletic issue; it's an academic issue, everybody is interested in football, and that gives the story some life to some people. We hope to bring it to a conclusion fairly soon."

SACS President: "We wanted to get (Richardson's) view of things and see what they plan to do if in fact there is something to this," Benberg said. "I don't feel like this story has been validated as far as if the university faltered. If there was an aberration, they need to review what has happened and find a way to prevent that from happening again."

Take those quotes for what they are worth.

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

What does that have anything to do with it?

It is easier to favor a group when there is a smaller percentage...therefore not as many people will notice. Looks like yall didnt slip through the cracks...sucks. :dis:

Ever heard of the teachers pet? Ive never heard of 87 students in a class being teachers pets.

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I can agree that this may not be an athletic issue, because some non-athletes may have received the same "freebies". If that's the case, then the athletes didn't get any unfair advantages, just took advantage of the system. The whole point is that it appears AU's system f***ed up. And some of the AU fans on this board seem to think absolutely nothing illegal took place which I personally find difficult to beleive at this time.

4. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

I agree to a point.

Illegal? No. Unethical? Maybe.

It all depends on how much work these guys actually did in the Independent Studies class. The IS classes themselves are not a problem as every University offers classes that you do not have to attend but 2 or 3 times. If the students and athletes weren't doing as much work as most IS classes, then we have a problem.

Maybe more will come out later about the situation. So until then...I'm out as far as this subject goes. Hopefully this will resolve itself before football season.

EDIT: Its a scary day when Nutriatch and I can get this close to agreeing about something.

5. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

What is the % of football players in the general student population? I'm guessing it's not 6%.

6. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

SEC Commissioner Mike Slive said today that the situation at Auburn is an academic issue and not an athletic issue and thus there will be no SEC investigation unless something new unfolds.

Ho hum!!! When can we play ball??

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Not particularly suprising... but doubtful that this completely goes away.

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Here's a musical tribute to Auburn:

> Link <