The Barn's New York Times Investigation

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerBait3, Jul 13, 2006.

1. vatz22AU

vatz22AU Founding Member

I have no idea... the New York Times, in about the past 2-3 years, has already written 3 articles concerning Auburn Athletics that never amounted to anything.

On another note, Huntsville Times writer Phillip Marshall Chimes in. For those of you who are bored by the long read, just scroll to the bottom in bold. Amazing how Thamel leaves off comments by the players who actually didn't "see it his way."

Again, Thamel twists the picture as usual.

2. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I'll bask in any negative pub against Auburn...Some say it could happen at LSU and it very well could. But until it does, I'll rip AU backwards and forwards...

3. LSUfreshman21

LSUfreshman21 Founding Member

I just saw an article about this whole barner situation in my newspaper. Its everywhere AU I really don't beleive that the whole world is lying. Even if they were all stretching the truth, which I know these people are very capable of doing, I do not think they would misquote people.
    Professor James Gundlach began looking into the matter and discovered that many AU athletes were getting high grades, A's, in Petee's class that required no attendance and little work
    -Atlanta Journal Constitution

"Petee is destroying the credibility of our program by giving away grades," Gundlack said Thursday.
    "I was seeing a place I had given 30 years of devoted service to go to hell."

4. vatz22AU

vatz22AU Founding Member

Puhhhleeaseeee buddy... If we could only handle this situation as LSU did:

</H1>
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2163579

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Hmmm... now where is this attitude anything bad happens to the republican party?

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I wouldn't bet the farm on it, amigo. The NCAA is extremely vindictive and you never know when they are going to target you.

Dale Brown was highly critical of the NCAA and he went through three NCAA investigations before they finally got something to stick. They did not give up until they got him and even then they broke their own rules by allowing Lester Earl to transfer without sitting out a year in return for his tainted "story". The NCAA wanted Bama badly for years and when they finally got an opportunity . . . they hammered them pretty hard.

If the NCAA has a problem with Auburn, they just might get involved in a big way. Better for Auburn to take the high road. Investigate the allegations, admit any wrongdoings found, fix the problem, and impose sanctions on themselves in contrition.

In this fashion LSU survived a minor tutoring violation and a possibly major allegation that instructors were pressured to change a players grade. We replaced some people in the Academic Center for Athletes, changed some procedures to make them more open, and voluntarily assessed ourselves two football scholarships for a year. The NCAA accepted this--case closed.

But if AU denies everything without an proper investigation and challenges the NCAA directly, they could find themselves in a world of chit. You can't let this drag out and hurt two years of recruiting, even if no sanctions result. If there is a provable problem here, Auburn should admit it, take their lumps quickly, promise to fix the problem, and get this behind them as soon as possible.

If, as you say, this turns out to be a newspaper story without any basis in fact, Auburn still needs to investigate openly and promptly and then publish the refutation for all to see. Recruits will worry about possible NCAA sanctions in their future.

7. LSUfreshman21

Does it make you feel better to place the blame on other schools when your school is on the hot seat? You should be worried about what is going on over there at AU.

8. LSUfreshman21

Sure instructors are pressured to raise the grades of student-athletes everywhere. This goes a lot deeper then that. AU instructors are actually admitting that there were courses where the auburn athletes did not even have to attend and they would still make A's.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You are in the wrong forum and you know it. Please don't derail this important thread.

10. vatz22AU

vatz22AU Founding Member

Show me where I put blame on other schools. Please.... show me. The closest thing I have said that could relate to that in anyway is how there are Bama ties to the New York Times, and that a squealer was discovered on tiderinsider who worked for the T-town news.

By the way, how old are you? Your points never stack together and you twist anything that comes out that may oppose your arguments.