The Barn's New York Times Investigation

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerBait3, Jul 13, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

OK, I fixed it. Football on the mind, I guess. :hihi:

Me, I'd put Shaq at left offensive tackle. 7-1, 350 pounds, and quick feet--no quarterback would worry about being blindsided. And talk about off-tackle runs! Especially if Glen Davis was a left guard at 6-9, 315. :lol:

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I'm not claiming anything. It was said in the article that the corruption went very high.

From the article: “It was at that point that I figured the corruption runs the full gantlet of the administration,” Professor Gundlach said.

I can't find it in this article, but I thought I read it was 25%. Maybe not.

And the NCAA has instituted a rule about what percentage of athletes can constitute the body of the class. I see no reason why that wouldn't apply to this.

See above.

As I said, the programs in general are not in question, the way this particular professor handled his programs with athletes is.

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Well, he def. missed the fact that yall have had a clean program..:dis::dis:.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

The notion Alabama is behind this is assinine. Two schools in the SEC, Vandy and Georgia, are the ones behind it along with 5 other schools (ACC and Big East).

FYI, it isn't over...there is more coming...

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Right once again.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Terry again."

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Terry again."

LMAO!

Understand, I by no means am happy about a degree from Auburn being degraded the way this is going...

There are a couple of things that have to be noted...

1) Repeat violater window due to Cliff Ellis
    2) Under probation right now with SACS

The last thing any school wants to do is embarass the NCAA...and with the braggin about APR, etc...Auburn very well may have done this. This isn't about paying players (Phillip Lolley said a few weeks ago that the NCAA doesn't have proof of that) but I bet ya Lennon (Myles Brand's spokesperson) is going to jump on this...much like he did the "diploma mill" story.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Which is why I'm not being too judgmental just yet, this kind of thing can and does happen at a lot of schools.

Caddy, this has to really pizza you guys off. Auburn already lost one undefeated season to probation, now the other one is being tainted.

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I laugh, but the truth is every school does it. Maybe The Barn more than others. Generally, teachers are more willing to help student athletes get better grades, not just give them the grade.

9. TN Tiger

TN Tiger Founding Member

I just heard that Golf Digest may make them return the National Championship Trophy!! Wonder what will happen with all those rings?!

10. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

"Professor Petee’s directed-reading classes, which nonathletes took as well, helped athletes in several sports improve their grade-point averages and preserve their athletic eligibility. A number of athletes took more than one class with Professor Petee over their careers: one athlete took seven such courses, three athletes took six, five took five and eight took four, according to records compiled by Professor Gundlach. He also found that more than a quarter of the students in Professor Petee’s directed-reading courses were athletes."