The Baton Rouge Regional

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, May 25, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

How about CPM starting a guy on the hill who hasn't stated all year?

LSUDad likes this.
  2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I like..............

LSU coach Paul Mainieri said Thursday afternoon that sophomore right-hander Alden Cartwright (0-0, 3.79) will be the Tigers’ starting pitcher on Friday versus Lehigh.

Cartwright, a Baton Rouge product, will make his first start this season and the eighth start of his career. He has given up eight earned runs on 22 hits in 19 innings of relief work this season.

First pitch is set for 3 p.m.

3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

LSU plans to piece together NCAA regional opener with Alden Cartwright starting first on the mound
    May 28, 2015 Ross Dellenger
    Alden Cartwright will get his first start of the season on Friday. It comes in LSU’s NCAA regional opener.

[​IMG]
    Alden Cartwright gets Start No. 1 of the season. (Patrick Dennis)

Cartwright (0-0, 3.79) gets the nod at 3 p.m. Friday against Lehigh (25-29). He’s only expected to pitch about two innings, as coach Paul Mainieri plans to piece together the game using five to seven pitchers – none of them for more than two frames.

Why Cartwright?

“I wanted a veteran presence on the mound, somebody who’s been in these kinds of games before, that could handle all of the hoopla,” Mainieri said. “The opening game of the postseason, the nerves are a little bit tight. It’s like opening day of the season. I thought somebody who’s a proven strike-thrower, pretty good stuff if they’re not going to be out there that long would be the best option.”

The team announced the decision Thursday following its regional practice that morning. Before the announcement, Mainieri met with reporters to discuss his plan of using what he calls “Jack Wholestaff” in the opener.

“The first guy that’s going to go will go just pitch a couple of innings probably. After that, we’re going to kind of play the game as the game dictates it to be played. It’s going to be in some way treated like a midweek game,” the coach said.

Mainieri said later Thursday that he’s breaking up the game between a host of pitchers to so he’ll have “as many options available” is LSU has to play a game Monday like it did last season.

Cartwright has thrown just 19 innings this season as he’s, somewhat, slipped down the bullpen pecking order. He has not pitched more than 1.2 innings in any one game this season.

The sophomore temporarily served as a Game 3/4 starter last year.

Cartwright, a former Runnels star, makes his first start since a struggling nod in the Tigers’ final game of the 2014 season – a 12-2 loss to Houston in the final game of the NCAA Baton Rouge regional. Cartwright didn’t record an out in that game, loading the bases with two walks and a hit batter a day after guaranteeing a win.

“That was a concern, why I hesitated to start him,” Mainieri said. “I don’t want him to psychologically think about that. I think that was a real aberration.”

Cartwright started five SEC games last season, including a one-hit, scoreless four-inning start in the SEC tournament championship game against Florida.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I like the strategy. Cpm does thinks by gut. Now if it backfires I reserve hindsight to bash him if it fails.

ParadiseiNC and Bengal B like this.
  5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That's the thing it's a high risk high reward move, but if it backfires he's a goat.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

covered that.

someone told me the girls were playing this morning. guess not. looks like 6 pm. and they bought a fish. so we're good.

7. AndrewAce24

AndrewAce24 Founding Member

Ground's crew fail

8. AndrewAce24

AndrewAce24 Founding Member

Finally got the tarp on. Just as the rain was letting up. Somebody wasn't watching the radar. Kinda hard to pull that tarp with water puddled on it.

9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Back on at 5:25

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

ULL down 6-3 to Rice in top of 9th, but with bases loaded and no outs.