The Bluegrass Miracle ranked #4 in all time best finishes

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SoLa in NoIll, Jan 9, 2003.

1. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I think Bluegrass should be #2 behind the original Hail Mary, Flutie to Flutie. In the Georgia game, over a minute remained after the TD which doesn't really qualify as a "miracle finish". In Cal-Stanford, a player clearly had a knee down when he lateraled so it was an illegal play. And really. Should not the band have been penalized for about 20 illegal screens? As far as the #5 play. They've always got to put Notre Dame in there somewhere.

3. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Heck, I'll take #4

We are talking about a play that will be talked about for a long time!

Congrats, LSU Tigers!

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

They played the entire game on ESPN Classic on Sunday (Or Saturday cannot remember) anyway, I watched the whole thing. The strange this was, I found myself getting all pissed off again when I watched Kentucky come back, and I still got jitters when LSU got the ball back with a few seconds left. My wife actually had her hands over her face like she was nervous.
    Sad - But true.
    That game will always be a great game to watch. It was a great football game to begin with.

Then tack on the Kentucky fans hanging on goal posts, the coach dumped with Gatorade, just makes a for a wonderful game.

5. I think the bluegrass miracle tops the flutie mary. i know i'm a biast LSU fan but look at the two. A long pass to a receiver in the endzone vs a long pass that is touched by 2 defenders, jumps into the hands of the receiver who runs between two more defenders 20 yards for the touchdown. You also have the UK early celebration and the fans swarming the field to tear down the goal post. No comparison to me.

6. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I'm the same way. Sometimes I will watch my tape of tha 1997 Florida game, and I will find myself thinking "I hope we hold on. Wouldn't it be great if we pulled this one off and we win?":D

7. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Yes, I was at that game. All that year I has seats that were about 5 rows up from the field, directly under the LSU band. I was in prime position to rush the field. It was an incredible outpour of emotion afterwards - fans hugging players, each other, themselves... It was a blast!

8. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

It was more exciting to watch the fans after the 97 florida game than the game. I've have never seen any thing like it. It was truly amazing. I just sat there saying," wow look at this".

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

That Flutie to Phalen Hail Mary game happened when I was about 7 and visiting relatives. Everyone was watching the game when it started but then people started cooking, socializing, and whatever. I ended up watching the 2nd half by myself and then called everyone over after the Hail Mary play and tried my best to give a recap of the 2nd half. My first LSU memory was a 21-21 tie with Florida (I think) but I was too young to really watch. After the Flutie play, I started analyzing a bit more (especially LSU games) and forming my own opinions. For example, before Flutie, I still remember my great-aunt going on about how "Wickersham was horrible and couldn't throw a simple pass" so I couldn't figure out why he started at QB. After Flutie, I started to realize there are more factors that go into a QB's play by understanding the game better. Enough of my rambling.

LSU-Fla '97 was definitely fun from the student section. My first thought after the game was that I wanted to be one of the last to leave the stadium but I had friends to meet at Mike's cage after and we wanted to check out the GameDay crew also, watch Corso eat crow. ESPN replayed the shortened version of the game that night (2:30 AM) so we were pretty exhausted by the end of the night. Oh yeah, almost forgot about our swimming pool adventure between the game and the replay. That day was Yom Kippur and I've always wondered what it's meaning represents. Anyone know?

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It's a Jewish something or other about something Jewish.