The Bob Stoops theory on the Coach's Poll

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mesquite tiger, May 14, 2004.

1. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I also was wondering who is on tirks avatar.

Back to the subject: I guess I never did dislike Stoops other than the one interview that Saban was there for and they sent the flunkie CO-COordinator

Human poll will always be biased. The bestr way is to work on perfecting the data that goes into a computer and WOLA. Out come the rankings.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Computer polls were the sole reason LSU made it to the NC.....so let's all stand up and give a standing O for the computers.

3. tigerfanintampa

tigerfanintampa Founding Member

The AP poll is the media poll. The coaches poll is the ESPN/USA Today poll.

4. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Correct, the AP poll is the media poll, but I believe many of the points stated above hold true.
    One of the suggestions that has been made is to withold publishing the AP and Coaches polls until completion of the 3rd or 4th week of the season. The thory being that a "previous year's performance" bias would therefore be minimized. Critics of this method have suggested it will lead to teams "running up the score,etc." early in the season in an effort to get in on the rankings goldrush. Then there's the whole scheduling aspect. Anyway, the idea probably has merit and should be examined further.

5. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

6:26am on a Saturday morning, I knew you were a closet LSU fan.

Hey DDTigerfan, I know you aint suppose to change usernames, but I have seen it done by request a few times.

Cadillacattack would like to change his name to "JVATTACK"
    :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

6. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Right on, Bret. Shouldn't even have human polls. Or at least they shouldn't count towards the BCS selections.

And NOTHING that nice could POSSIBLY come from SF!!!!! LOL
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

you guys are right. other sports, like tennis and golf, dont need stupid human polls at all and their rankings work fine. who wins should never be a matter of popularity among sportswriters. the game is on the field, and statistics from on the field shoud be the only thing that matters.

8. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Not a bad idea dheadtiger ....after the caddy becomes the first RB taken in next year's draft, I may hafta' consider that ! :grin: