The boot of Damien James

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by hocgator, Oct 29, 2002.

1. hocgator

hocgator Freshman

It is great to see a coach, like Saban, kick off a quality player like James for breaking team rules, of course missing a week of practice is pretty bad. I haven't read WHY he missed practice, anyone know??? I must commend Saban for his discipline. For as much bad press that Spurrier received this is an area that he excelled at, he did not tolerate breaking team rules, no matter who you are. Nice to see the integrity of "amateur" athletics respected by some coaches, esp when you see those i.e STATE rivals playing games after commiting felonies..you can figure it out. ;) . Congrats on a well-run clean program good to see someone following the rules in the SEC. :D

2. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

He said it was personal. Since he is off the team now he's not obligated to give us an explanation.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

On the one hand...

it's his business and not ours. But I'm just so darn curious. They sure have done a good job of keeping it low key.

4. diehardLSUfan

diehardLSUfan Founding Member

I just can't believe...

I can't believe he would quit like that. It only makes me wonder if he was in cohoots with the Arkansas player. LOL I know I'm bad but I mean why would he just quit out of the blue?

5. The Hour

The Hour Freshman

The skinny is

he apparently broke a team rule and WAS going to be suspended. It was BECAUSE of the pending suspension that he skipped practice. Once he did that, Saban met with the seniors and team leaders and the outcome was that to keep him on the team would be to condone such actions. Saban did not want to enable such behavior continuing.

6. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

u don't wanna know!

everybody keeps saying james left the team for personal reasons which is totally not true. James didn't just break a team rule he broke an ncaa rule. james earlier this year failed a drug test and was scheduled to take another one the week he left.

He knew this and rather then taking the test he left the team citing personal reasons as why he left. this was told to me by more then one current player and by a former all american (who still has strong ties) whom i talked to today.

I might be wrong, but i seriously doubt it. the reason i didn't post this before is because i had just heard from a couple current players until tonight when the former told me.

I still feel sorry for the guy, because I don't know why he failed the test so im going to give him the benifit of the doubt and hope it was for some banned over the counter supplement.

For James's sake i hope he gets his degree and everything turns out ok for him.

Oh and the main reason Saban decided to boot him was because the captains really wanted him gone espescially Bradie who really felt betraid. I can't blame them the seniors have worked their asses off for this team and they didn't deserve this.

tackle fattty!!! UK Sucks!!!!

7. LsuBruce

LsuBruce Founding Member

It's guys like DJ that become a .......

cancer to a team. If Saban did not boot him then I feel that the program would've started to slowly deteriorate from within. Good move by a good, intelligent coach.

8. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Yes, Nick handled it much better than Houston Nutt would have.