The bottomline on this Tiger team is they are young and lack scorers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Feb 19, 2004.

1. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

Our team in filled with freshman and sophmores. Young players make mistakes. We won't make any noise this year but very well could make some noise in the next 2-3 years.

We are short 2 or 3 scorers from the perimeter.

We could lose 5 of our last 6 in fact that is conceivable. I look for us to finish the regular season at 18-9. Win one in the SEC tournament and lose one. Final record 19-10 and lose in the 1st round of the NCAA as a #10 seed.

Next year sweet 16 !

2. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

LOL, I need to use that crystal ball when you are done with it.

What are the powerball numbers for this Saturday?.....

thanks in advance

Oh wait, maybe Lloreda and Regis get healthy and we learn from this loss and win 5 of 6.......

3. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I'm not a fan of this coach, but I am a fan of this team, and you're off your gourd...

When Mitchell is on, he's one of-if not the best-shooter's in the league.

Tack Minor-not a scorer? BWAHWHAWHAHWHAWHAWH!!!

I agree that Antonio Hudson COULD be a scorer, if only he wanted to. It seeme he actually SHIES away from creating space, driving, dribble penetration, and/or making his own shot...That's puzzling.

As for Mitchell and Minor, those are quite possibly the best backcourt in the conference on any given night. They're obviously the quickest and the best defending...

We've got the horses...It almost seems as if we lacked the motivation....Perhaps we could have put Daddy Dale on the speakerphone at halftime in the lockerroom...

It seemed a question of effort, not of talent.

4. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

TE,

Respectfully disagree with you on Hud. He showed some glimpses of trying to take over the game last night. I thought he might have a big night from the perimeter when he hit an early 3, but the AU defense limited his outside shooting with some tough man coverage. Additionally, he did have several nice drives to the hole where he scored or dished for a score. I felt like he could have had a greater impact if the motion offense was a little more geared for that.

I think the effort was there. Dunks by Jaime (rare indeed) and Bass were attempts to get the team up, but AU responded with quick scores.

The team is young. Losing 2 players who get lots of minutes really sets back a team, especially one with such youth.

I would like to see us run the break better. With the speed of Mitchell and Minor, its almost embarrassing to not score 10+ points on fast breaks. Whipple might be able to run the offense, but when your PG scores his only basket in the final minutes of the game on a putback, something is wrong.

I said it on another thread. My HS team ran a more complex motion offense than this team runs. Not enough screens...back screens, curl screens, double screens. If everyone is standing around waiting for some dribble penetration and a dish, its just not effective against a tough man defense.

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Unfortunately, they are way too inconsistent shooting the ball.

And I'm not sure if you are suggesting the Minor is a great defender, but if you are ... you are way off base on that comment! He has the potential to be, but he's a liability right now.

6. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

7. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Darrel Mitchell is a pure shooter. He had an off night but it wasn't 4 days ago when he was absolutely killing Florida from the outside. If he has one bad game for every 5 good ones, I'll take it.

He missed some layups because he is probable still a little rattled from nearly getting killed at Arkansas on a chickenshit foul from behind. You could clearly see it on a fastbreak last night. He was ahead of the guy but went up kind of sideways to shield himself from the trailing defender. Earlier in the season, he would have taken the ball up hard trying to dunk but getting knocked on your head from 10 feet tends to discourage that play.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

this team plays better on the road. i think their youth puts pressure on them to win, especially after increased expectations

backcourt is no good. bottom line. how can you be a good TEAM with these guys? we'll have our stretches but good teams will beat us more often than not because of little balance.
    hudson--too timid; good D
    mitchell--good shooter, but a bit too streaky. size a liability on D and breaks
    minor--mistakes with age--should improve; not as good a shooter as mitchell;better off dribble; again, size is a limitation on D and breaks.
    whipple--slow; not a shooter; bad on breaks which is unforgivable for pg; better in half court, but still goes through stretches of too many turnovers.

next year we should be better. everyone should improve. obviously all the freshmen need to really step it up next year with jaime gone.

9. LSUAlum2001

LSUAlum2001 Freshman

I think we need to start Minor from here on out and let him take his lumps. Sure, we would lack height at guard, but we would have two potential scorers instead of just one (Mitchell). Hudson looks better off of the bench. I wish he was in there scoring 15 per night, but I always see him passing up the open shot. If he ain't gonna shoot, then Regis (when healthy) should be out there defending like a madman.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

They are not Young, thats a cop out.......

There are plenty of freshman that make huge contributions in all
    college sports....