The Bubble Screen

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tigerbnd05, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

Ok so I was reading on some gator boards about how they hate the bubble screen. They said it is ineffective. Well, if you ask me, I think it does wonders. If I remember correctly, that offensive record setting game for LSU in 2001 agaisnt Bama, was made off of the bubble screen and then going deeper. Josh Reed made a killing off of it. I think if it is run correctly, it is very valuable for an offense. I guess it's just not the fun n' gun or they can't run it correctly.

2. conradj

conradj Founding Member

LSU is one of the few teams that runs the Bubble well.

3. mgreer1

mgreer1 Founding Member

Its effective if you have really good blocking wr which we do have. It also helps to have wrs that are shifty like rbs.

Yes Reed killed everyone on that play and he was a converted RB.

4. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

Jimbo does a very good job of implementing that into the offense. The thing that I like about it is that it is a check with me play. The quarterback usually makes the call at the line of scrimmage depending how the defense is playing. More times than not, the quarterback checks out of a running play. At times this play can be predictable, but it is very effective if used properly. One key to predict this play is look at the play of the defense on the inside receiver. Either a linebacker or defensive back can crowd the line of scrimmage to take it away. Ole Miss did a very good job of taking this away from us this year.

5. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

I've seen Florida run it and IMO they didn't execute it as well as we did this year. Personally I like it.

6. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I love the Bubble screen. We just have the type of athletes to run it. Its basically a running play, to get the ball in Skyler, Devery, are whovers hands.

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

If memory serves me correctly, Devery ran a version of this at the senior bowl and faked Straight (OU Corner) for extra yardage.