The Candidate (Coaching List to Replace O)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Brian, Oct 9, 2021.

1. tigerace

tigerace Founding Member

His wife already has purple pants..............they knew they were going to LSU ahead of when we all heard it. Lincoln Riley was probably not lying when he said he decided on the job after an early Sunday am phone call and that was the only contact he had with USC. His agents (most likely just like Kelly's) have been in touch with schools for 6-10 weeks. He pays the agents to do all the dirty work and consults with them. I'm sure Riley spoke to USC one time, but he spoke with his agents many times over the last 10 weeks. I'm sure that Kelly did the same thing, and from that regard, I think Woodward wanted Kelly all the time. It's not to say he didn't reach out to other big fish to test the waters. I feel like it is a very solid hire

2. tigerace

tigerace Founding Member

I know Kelly has a big hand in the offense and is a good offensive mind, and has done both HC and OC calling plays. Reese has grown as an OC and play caller and I think it would be a great get if he can get Reese and Freeman to come along. I'd love to see Durante Jones get an important spot on the Defensive staff as well, he earned it this year.

Winston1 likes this.
  3. Herb

Herb Founding Member

I don't buy into the narrative that all of these sports writers that were caught with their pants down on this story are pushing. That narrative is basically that Woodward was all-in on Riley, got played/spurned, and that Woodward 'had to scramble' to sign Brian Kelly.

Do they think we're really that stupid? Kelly himself - in his tweet to his players - basically apologized that the story broke before he could inform them in person. A "story breaking early" implies that this was in the works. This is a major life decision that CBK and his wife weighed the pros and cons of for a while.

This is not the kind of thing that is thrown out by Woodward on a Sunday (when he was allegedly spurned by Riley) and Brian Kelly and his wife are ready to uproot the next morning from a place they lived at for a dozen years and move 1,000 miles away to someplace completely foreign to them.

4. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Agree. I think Kelly was one of SW main candidates from the beginning.

5. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

Why are people worried about the “fit” at LSU. The last guy “fit” and we were .500 the last 2 years. We need someone who can coach

6. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

People are saying that because that’s how we got the last guy

StaceyO and Herb like this.
  7. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

We will never know for sure. Given the legwork is performed by agents, the agreement to shop a headcoach still lies with said individual far in advance. That said, in no way shape or form does anything you quoted explicitly prove/disprove he was always the first choice or the fifth.

8. furduknfish

Damn, thats straight outta Coming To America.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  9. seabrookcajun

seabrookcajun Founding Member

10. furduknfish

I have no problem giving the guy his dues if he succeeds in making LSU a perenial contender. I just dont have a lotta confidence he is the young/hungry type that wants to make history especially after winning a NC here. More the "put it on cruise control after the big win" Les type and if you dont like it, then suck it. Or even better, move out on xmas day for his nfl gig.

eta: To be fair O succumbed to same cruise control mindset but in a much more spectacular fashion.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Swerved likes this.