The case against Republicans

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Geaux5000, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Geaux5000

Geaux5000 Founding Member

I have noticed a highly Republican sentiment on this board, and while I don't want to get into a flame war, I would like to talk about just why it is that I am not a Republican despite being raised in a highly republican household.

Personally there are some specific policy issues that I agree with the right on, but when you look at the big picture the right is funded almost totally by large corporations who have no regard for the average American (who make up a large portion of the republican base) The right is very skilled at masking their policy stances as being good for America when in reality they hurt a large majority of Americans. The Bush tax cuts for the rich have created a situation where Alan Greenspan now says that Social Secuirity should be cut. Meanwhile I continue to be amazed by the stagering amount of money the Bush Administration has underfunded it's own programs, first and foremost being No Child Left Behind, an excelent idea in principal but a horrible idea in practice along with the tax cuts that have left the federal government hemoraging.

On Social Issues Republicans are equally as wrong in it's stance on most issues. While I stongly support a ban on late-term and partial-birth abortions the right hides under it's Religion-friendly stereotype on most social issues as simply a guise for votes so they can continue their economic policies that will make them and their friends lots of money at the expense of the average American family. I could go into detail ad-nausem about the proposed Constitutional ban on same-sex marriages but at the end of the day I fail to see how this is even a relevant issue and since when did ANYONE aquire the right to tell people what they can and can't do. The attempt to write bigotry into the Constitution is personally embarassing to me, I thought as a nation we had at least evolved to the point where we were so concerned with ourselves that we didn't care what other's did but I guess not. I really don't care if someone want's to marry a turtle, if that turtle is willing so be it. It has zero effect on me as a person. 3500 gay couples have been married in San Fransisco in the last few weeks, is anyone worse off for it? Who are we to stand in the way of someone else's quest of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

On Foriegn Policy the right enjoys a stereotype as being better for the country's saftey, when in reality the actions of this president has done more to increase the likleyhood of another 9/11 than anyone could have possibly imagined. Osama Bin Laden has cited the presence of US troops in Saudi Arabia after the first Gulf War (A decision made my Bush's father and a number of people in the current administarion *cough*Don Rumsfeld *cough*) as the main reason he started to target the United States in the first place. The Administration irresponsibly gave away the lives of 500 Americans in Iraq just like you or me for a essentially no reason. No WMD, No Threat to the US or her allies, nothing at all. Sure Sadamn is a bad guy and the world is better off for him, but he is hardly the only of his kind, only the best known. If we are going to take him out why not the others? And at what point is our military so spread out that a crisis in North Korea or somewhere else would not be able to be taken care of because of military needs elsewhere?

In closing the Republican stance on the Economy, Social Issues, and Foreign Affairs are equally bad for the country and ultimatley irresponsible for the well being of all Americans regardless of political party.

2. ColonelHapablap

ColonelHapablap Founding Member

Grammar and Form: Very Nice. I give it an A-. Not quite poetry, but very good prose.

Content: I'd ordinarally give it an F, but since it appears to be at least on the level of baseless propaganda, I'll give it a D-. Do a little research before your next case.

You probably don't want to turn it in as it is. Your teacher probably wants some citations, but I'm sure you just haven't gotten to the bibliography yet. There are a few gramattical errors, but you probably go to public school, so your teacher probably won't notice. You might want to work on your intro a little more. It doesn't really grab the reader's attention like it should. Also, I personally dislike closings that end with, "In Closing." You might think of a snazzier way to finish.Depending on what year of High school you're in and where you go to school, I'd say this could get anywhere from a high D to a low B overall. Hope this helps!

3. Geaux5000

Geaux5000 Founding Member

Very cute usage of the "college student going through liberal self-discovery and hopless idealism" analogy, give it a B+ :wink:

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Same old class warfare tripe: you have been sold the lie that the goals of major business and the goals of ordinary Americans are mutually exclusive, and that for one to win, the other must lose. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY!! Capitalism and open markets are truly the best way for people to get what they want and be happy, be they rich or poor. Corporations are not evil; in fact, the vast majority are good corporate citizens who desire nothing more than to make an honest buck. Yes, a few do try to screw over their customers and screw over their employees. You know what; they usually get caught and go to jail or go out of business. Enron was forced into bankruptcy, were they not? I'm tired of people in the United States, the country with the strongest workers safety and workers rights protections in the Western world, still saying it's not enough and still fomenting class warfare as a cheap, easy way to hustle votes out of the ignorant poor. Just tell 'em that the "evil corporations" and the "evil rich" are to blame for their lot in life. Gee, that's hard! Give me a break!

The Social Security crisis Greenspan alluded to was in the making LONG before the Bush tax cuts went into effect. Continuing our draconian tax policies will only postpone the inevitable and destroy the economy by draining people of their disposable income in the process. There simply won't be enough workers funding the system when all the Baby Boomers retire. It's just that simple. So truth be told, America should either go ahead and abolish Social Security and let folks take their chances with 401Ks and IRAs, raise taxes out the wazoo for our young people, or ban abortion and birth control, cut taxes for families, and otherwise encourage rapid population growth to set the stage for Baby Boom II, to pay for Baby Boom I. Because there is no escape from THIS crisis without someone getting screwed. The class warfare antagonist liberals made sure of that. We might have been able to do something about it 20 years ago, but you know how Social Security is the "sacred ox" of American politics. It's too late to stop somebody's ox from getting gored though, no matter what we do. Somebody has to pay.

Do you really want gay marriage legalized? Do you live with a roommate, a friend of yours? Do you want the state to show up one day three years from now to declare you and your roommate a "common law marriage?" Do you really want to open the legal Pandora's Box this will bring? Think about that really hard. There are THOUSANDS of common sense, non-religious, un-bigoted reasons to oppose gay marriage. Take the time to surf some right-of-center websites and acquaint yourself with the facts.

As for foreign policy, Democrats wanted to surrender to the USSR and push through nuclear freeze while Reagan wanted to end the Cold War by bringing the USSR to their knees. Democrats were once the equal of Republicans on strong national defense, but I guess they lost their nerve after LBJ screwed up Vietnam. Now, they cannot be trusted to keep America safe. Only to lob a few cruise missiles at aspirin factories and phantoms in the Afghan mountains and then say "All clear!" Sorry, I'll take my chances with a President who'd like to see real change in the Middle East.

And it seems we have plenty of Democrat/liberal sentiment on the board as well with CB66, Bestbank Tiger, phatcat, and now yourself. So don't give me this "FSA is controlled by right wing freaks" crap. We run a clean board where everyone is free to speak out, even nutjobs. As long as you don't personally insult anyone, curse, or do something crazy/evil like deny the Holocaust, everything's fine.

Debate on.

5. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

Welcome to the boards. I just wanna say I am looking forward to being able to debate with someone who, at first glance, doesn't appear to be a complete dick and is somewhat intelligent. I may not agree with hardly anything that you say but looking forward to reading it.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Col Hablapap: Funny response
    Jetstorm: Hell of a post. Says everything I wish I could come up with.
    Gimp: Ditto

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

this is such an incredibly weak argument. ridiculous. the government will not only marry gays, but forcibly marry innocent people to each other, without their consent. likely.

why dont you just say the real reason, which is you are religious and you have been told that being gay is wrong and you dont want the government to respect them. it makes perfect sense, and its better than this nonsense.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

If-a you don'-a play-a de game, you no-a mak-a de rules - Woman to Pope from (I believe) Don't Crush That Dwarf - Hand Me The Pliers.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

i cant talk now, the government gestapo is at my door with guns and they are forcing me to marry my college roomate. damn gays!

10. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

Jetstorm, once again you have posted pure right wing propaganda. I am sure it is in every minimum wage earners best interest for overtime pay to be cut out for them so they can work 80 hours a week at straight time.

I am sure cutting Medicare and Medicaid is in the best interests of every poor person or senior citizen who is barely getting by.

That is what Bush wants.

Bush has cut taxes on rich people a lot, funded two wars, increased Federal spending on defense and certain other things he thinks will help get him votes, and how has he funded it?

By borrowing. The Republican fiscal policy is simply to borrow, borrow, borrow, and tell people you can have it all and not have to pay for it.

And they don't--right now.

The rest of your propaganda post reveals that you have no higher understanding of any issue than what Rush pukes out every afternoon.