"The Catch"-- Should be "The Call"

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by pensacola, Feb 20, 2005.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Scrappy, I agree with ya. The call didn't lose the game for us, we lost if ourselves. If Prude wouldn't have made the leap onto the other players they wouldn't have called it. We shouldn't have given up the 4th and long or the TD etc.

2. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

Scrappy, it happens with every team. Think Bama still isn't talking about the Corey Webster no-call this year? Doubt it. LSU fans aren't the only ones harping on past feelings of robbery. In fact, just thinking of other teams makes me think of other times when we got hosed:

Miss St.- not sure about the year but it's the one where they beat us in the last ten years (the guy crawled into the end zone)

Florida- Fred Booker call in '98

Bama- without the help of the video screen, brady james, and crew would have been screwed by refs had they not seen their mistake and changed the call. (was that in 2000???)

Iowa- some say there was lots of infractions on that miracle catch, I've made my peace with this game though.

And I'm sure rival fans can give handfuls of examples when their team was screwed and we reaped the benefits.

That's the nature of having refs, they make mistakes, hopefully it balances out. The Auburn game stands out because of the importance of that game.

3. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

I wasn't dwelling on it, but couldn't help notice it on the wall- enshrined like some Franco Harris moment for all eternity. Destined to hang in the double-wides on the plains of Aubarn for decades to come.

Somehow, a print of the Iowa catch wouldn't annoy me half as much.

4. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

Is beating us at the beginning of the season in their stadium that big of a deal? If it is then that is extremely flattering. Glad you brought this up.

5. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Looks like a fine picture to me :hihi:

6. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

Oh man, too many posts to respond to.

BB--We did not almost lose our accredidation last year. We came no where close to that. Learn your facts first please. We were on probation with SACS for our Board of Trustee's having too much control of the university. The quality of the education recieved at Auburn was NEVER in question. We are a top-50 public school nationally according to U.S. News and World Report...I have no idea where u guys are, not trying to pick a fight, but do you know your ranking?

Pensacola, JVincent-- This is not the only picture. This is not done through the university. There is an art-store in town that has an Auburn football section with a painter that specializes in action shots. He caters to fans like myself who want to have paintings to remember our 13-0 season. There are probably 15 of them that he did of various moments. Would none of you guys have bought paintings commemorating your national championship?

Cajdav--Thank you. You are the first fan that has recognized that the ref wouldn't have thrown the flag if Prude had not broken the rules. He might not have known about the rule, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he broke them.

I'm sorry but as much as u guys try to put us down...

Beating the defending national champs at home IS a big deal.
    Going 9-0 in the sec IS a big deal. (only done 3 times since conferance split)
    Going 13-0 overall IS a big deal. (only done 5 times in history maybe?)

I hope u don't mind if I want to have a picture from the UGA game and the LSU game hanging in my basement commemorating a memorable season...

EDIT: Sorry couldn't help but notice the irony these two subjects both being on the front page...

http://www.tigerforums.com/showthread.php?t=25784

7. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

One thing I do love to hear up in Georgia....if your son/daughter can't get into UGA or Tech....send them to Auburn :lol:

8. BB

BB Founding Member

I have no idea what LSU was ranked, but I found all of this in one quick search - I'm sure you could find lots more if you looked. Bottom line, Auburn is a joke and a second rate university.

Just a few more recent LSU accomplishments (despite being in one of the poorest states in the nation and having one of the worst public school systems known to mankind)...

Three programs in LSU's College of Engineering radnked in the top 100 for the 2005 edition of U.S. News & Wolrd Report's "America's Best Graduate Schools." The Chemical Engineering Program ranked 50th, the Civil Engineering Program ranked 65th, and the Mechanical Engineering Program ranked 82nd.

The LSU Hurricane Center includes the largest staff of hurricane researchers in the world.

The Louisiana Business & Technology Center was named "one of the nation's top-ten best-perfoming technology incubators" by the National Business Incubator Association and the U.S. Department of Commerce's Office of Technology Policy.

The School of Music's opera program has produced some of the biggest names in opera today, like Paul Groves and Jeffrey Wells of the Metropolitan Opera; Shon Sims of the New York City Opera; and Edward Scott Hendricks and Chad Shelton of the Houston Grand Opera, Central City Opera, and the Wolf Trap Opera Company.

The Flores MBA program at LSU's Ourso College of Business Administration is ranked 71st for 2005 by U.S. News and World Report, and is 41st of ranked public universities. This is up 38 spots from the 2004 ranking.

Fifty-four percent of LSU student-athletes posted a 3.0 grade-point average or better during the spring semester. Of the 410 athletes, 30 posted perfect 4.0 averages. The men's tennis team's 3.5 average was the highest among sports. The women's golf team led all women's sports with a 3.4 average.

LSU has been named one of the "Most Entrepreneurial Campuses" by Forbes.com and the Princeton Review for 2004. The E. J. Ourso College of Business Administration's programs are ranked third behind those of the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill and Notre Dame.

LSU's Landscape Architecture programs are ranked in the top five nationally by Design Intelligence's 2005 edition with the graduate program ranked fourth and the undergraduate program ranked fifth. LSU's Landscape Architecture program also received the top ranking among schools in the South.

In 14 of the last 17 years, students from LSU's internal auditing program have placed first in the international internal auditing examination. LSU's Internal Auditing Program is regarded as the international leader in internal audit education.

The LSU Department of French Studies is the eighth best public university program of its kind in the nation

In 2003, Design Intelligence and the Almanac of Architecture and Design ranked LSU's interior design program among the top-30 in the nation.

The geography program at LSU is one of the top 20 in the nation.

LSU senior Allen Richey, a political science major from Baton Rouge, has been named LSU's first ever recipient of the Harry S. Truman Scholarship.

LSU has increased admission standards five times in recent years, and each time, the number of student applications has increased.

In cooperation with the excellent faculty of the LSU Museum of Natural Sciences, the LSU Department of Biological Sciences directs the foremost graduate program in museum-based ornithology in the world.

The graduate program in French is one of 15 university French programs in the country to be recognized as a "centre d'excellence" by the Cultural Services Office of the French Ambassador to the United States.

The Louisiana Business & Technology Center was named "one of the nation's top-ten best-perfoming technology incubators" by the National Business Incubator Association and the U.S. Department of Commerce's Office of Technology Policy.

Liduino Pitomberia, a doctoral composition student in the School of Music, was declared winner of the Composer of the Year competition by MTNA for 2004. The amazing thing about this award is that the student won over faculty, as well as students, from across the nation. Clearly, the LSU graduate composition program is one of the most respected in the country.

LSU is currently ranked tenth in the Director's Cup standing for the best athletic program in the country.

LSU has won 43 national championships (best in the SEC)

LSU Libraries are ranked among the top-114 academic research libraries in the United States and Canada by the Association of Research Libraries

LSU has one of the fastest computers in the world. SuperMike, the 1024 processor supercomputer is constantly being upgraded to compete internationally in the race for gaining computing speed. See www.top500.org to see how SuperMike ranks today.

LSU's Department of Economics is ranked 31st nationally.

LSU has the 65th largest university research library in North America

LSU holds 223 patents in a variety of fields of study.

Judith Sylvester, Scripps Howard Professor in Media and Politics, and Suzanne Huffman's book, Women Journalists at Ground Zero: Covering Crisis, won first place in the research category at the 2003 National Federation of Press Women Communications Contest.

Asian soybean rust, a dreaded disease that has ravaged soybean producing areas throughout the world, was first discovered in the continental U.S. in November 2004 by Raymond Schneider, a professor in LSU's Department of Plant Pathology and Crop Physiology.

LSU researchers and professors were featured in Science Magazine for locating what is believed to be the world's earliest known meteor strike.

The LSU Hurricane Center includes the largest staff of hurricane researchers in the world.

LSU received $134.8 million during the 2003-2004 fiscal year for the more than 2,000 sponsored research projects underway at any given time.

The LSU Department of Physics & Astronomy, widely regarded as one of the best in the nation, is a leader in Gravitational Wave Research.

The LSU Tiger Band was selected to receive the 2002 Sudler Trophy, awarded by the John Phillip Sousa Society to the outstanding college/university band in America. The Sudler is widely known in the band profession as the "Heisman Trophy for bands."

With more than 195,000 alumni worldwide, LSU ranks in the top 10 percent of the nation in the number of graduates.

LSU architecture alumnus David Suarez and LSU civil engineer alumna Kate Beysselance were both key players in the restoration and preservation of the Washington Monument in 2000. Suarez's company has restored a number of national landmarks, including the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum and the U.S. Treasury building.

Former U.S. Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey (1964-1968) earned a master's degree in political science from LSU in 1940

Fifty-seven of LSU's more than 250 principal buildings are listed in the National Register of Historic Places

LSU's landscaping was called "a botanical joy" in its listing among the 20 best campuses in America in Thomas Gaines' "The Campus as a Work of Art."

The Museum of Natural History has the largest collection of bird DNA in the world.

The LSU Museum of Natural Science has the fourth-largest university bird collection. Only Harvard University, the University of Michigan, and the University of California have collections that are larger.

The LSU Museum of Natural Science has the world's oldest and largest collection of genetic resources for molecular genetic research on vertebrates. Such collections are fast becoming the most important museum collections, because the growth of genetic engineering and biotechnology has dramatically increased the demand for vertebrate tissue. The Smithsonian, American Museum of Natural History, Field Museum in Chicago, Berkeley, and other institutions have copied the LSU Museum model, but trail far behind in size, importance, and use.

LSU's Rural Life Museum was rated one of the best outdoor museums in the U.S. by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The Cartographic Information Center in the Department of Geography and Anthropology is one of the largest university map libraries in the nation, with 312,432 maps, 108,024 aerial photographs, 16,000 hand-held photos, and 12,000 slides

The Southern Review, a literary journal published by LSU, was co-founded by three-time Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Robert Penn Warren, who served as U.S. Poet Laureate and wrote the classic novel All the King's Men.

Three of LSU's Presidents were military generals, General William Tecumesh Sherman (1860-61), General Campbell Hodges (1941-44) and General Troy Middleton (1951-61).

At the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Bret Lott, editor at LSU Press, studied under James Baldwin, one of the foremost writers in American history, who wrote Go Tell it on the Mountain and Notes of a Native Son.

The Center for Academic Success at LSU was selected by the National College Learning Center Association Board to receive the 2004 Frank L. Christ Outstanding Learning Center Award for the four-year category.

The School of Veterinary Medicine received more than $10 million from outside sources last year for research in human and animal health

The LSU Small Business Development Center, a division of LSU's Louisiana Business and Technology Center, enjoys a long list of clients. During 2004, those clients produced 211 jobs and annual sales in excess of $16 million. Clients also completed 26 business plans, raised $11 million in equity and obtained $2 million in loans.

LSU ranks among the top-20 of the nation's research universities in enrollment of African-American students. Source: The National Center for Education Statistics, fall 2001 (the latest completed database for the NCES).

The LSU Press is the only university press to have won a Pulitzer Prize in both fiction and poetry

LSU is one of only 25 universities in the nation having both land-grant and sea-grant status.

LSU is a community of nearly 36,000 staff, faculty, and students from every state and more than 120 countries.

Mary Manhein and the LSU FACES Lab have been featured numerous times in the national media and at Scotland Yard.

External funding for LSU in fiscal year 2002-2003 reached $122.4 million, an increase of 22 percent over the 2001-2002 fiscal year .

The LSU Tigers were named the 2003 BCS National Champions after winning the Nokia Sugar Bowl on Sunday, January 4. With a 21-14 victory over the Oklahoma Sooners, LSU captured its second national title in football and its 41st national athletic title.

In 2002, MSNBC rated Tiger Stadium as the best college football venue.

LSU has led the nation in baseball attendance each of the last six seasons, drawing more than 1.5 million fans to Alex Box Stadium in that time.

Former LSU baseball coach and current athletic director Skip Bertman is one of only two coaches to win four or more national championships. Bertman led the Tigers to College World Series titles in 1991, 1993, 1996, 1997, and 2000, before retiring after the 2001 season with 870 victories.

When Tiger Stadium is filled to its capacity of 91,600, it contains more people than there are in 51 of Louisiana's 64 parishes. Tiger Stadium is the fifth-largest on-campus facility in college football.

The LSU Women's Track & Field team has won 13 NCAA Outdoor National Championships in a row. The team has also won 11 NCAA Indoor National Championships.

LSU football ranks ninth all-time in bowl appearances with 34. It is 13th in wins with 16 and has won five straight bowl appearances

In a CBS SportsLine.com listing of top 10 college football stadiums, Tiger Stadium ranked No. 5 with a score of 45. Texas A&M's Kyle Field was voted the best stadium in the country with a score of 48. Stadiums were judged based on atmosphere, history, tradition, fans and architecture. LSU scored perfect 10s in atmosphere and fans, a nine in tradition, 8.5 in history, and 7.5 in architecture. In 2002, MSNBC users rated Tiger Stadium as the best college football venue.

Because of its designation as a Research University I - the top category of the Carnegie Foundation's ranking of research institutions - LSU ranks in the top 2 percent of the nation's colleges and universities. The Research I designation is shared by only 59 public and 29 private universities in the country.

9. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

After reading this thread, I decided Ryan Perilous and his huge ego will fit right in with some LSU folks. :hihi:

pensacola....what did you expect to see in a shop like this in Alabama, a painting of a great play by LSU? I bet you also saw some pics from bama games. This particular play against LSU was probably the single biggest play all year by Auburn so why does it surprise you that Auburn fans would buy somrthing like it. I personally don't have any big pics like that in my 5900 sq.ft. doublewide :yelwink2: on 13 acres sitting on a hillside with a beautiful view of a valley and mountain in the distance, but a lot of people go for them and others make a living selling them. For me this play, along with many more over the years is indelibly recorded in my mind. :)

10. pensacola

pensacola Founding Member

Ask any realtor- you do NOT get to count the barn in the square footage that you list on your residence. :yelwink2:

I guess it comes down to this- There are some teams that we assume that we will beat on a routine basis (Auburn, etc.) and some that we historically used to lose to (Alabama). I remember growing up that we even liked to schedule Auburn for Homecoming. No one was shocked when we lost to Alabama back then, but we had better not lose to Auburn. I think that's a common sentiment around LSU.