The Chad Jones Hit in the Fourth Quarter

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by hadskey76, Nov 28, 2009.

1. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Defense was hittin nasty tonight. Knocked a few cocks in their watch pockets, for sure.

2. TC

TC Le Big Mac

A devastating hit. Jones led with his shoulder, but there was some residual helmet contact.

It happened so fast, and so violently, that the back judge just took a guess and threw the flag.

When the player who got demolished lies on the ground for several seconds afterward, the back judge always throws the flag.:tigerhead

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Exactly. What's Jones to do in that situation? Let the guy catch the ball? He avoided the helmet-to-helmet hit; how many rules are they going to make up when a WR gets clocked?

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

It was all good no matter what, it saved a td and then game!
    We would have lost without that play!

5. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

You can't call defenseless receiver if he has the ball, which he did because he would have had a TD had the hit not come. He is fair game if the ball is in his hands. Defenseless receiver is when the defense should not have made a hit on a receiver in the air who obviously doesn't have the ball.

It looked like it was helmet to helmet, not intentional but still was called right. IMHO, if our player is shaken up too, obviously not a shoulder issue, then he hit him with his head. Just my opinion of the hit. I still like the intensity of it though.

6. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

I hate that helmet to helmet rule.

To me if you are intentional hurting someone or they are defenseless then that is one thing... to me that is the type of play that should be allowed to stand... its football... it's not soccer.

Let me just say LSU got thrown a huge call on the Ridley play with 26 seconds... the game would have been basically over at that point if you ask me.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

Are you trying to derail this thread?:rolleye33:

8. Dmarzio

Dmarzio Founding Member

Do you think that the SEC officials, with all of their infinite judgment and wisdom, could possibly suspend Chad for the bowl game?

I thought it was a legal hit, but the way the officiating and all of that has gone this year....I just don't know...

9. Curator

Curator Freshman

Not intentional but still helmet contact, IMO. Helluva Laron Landry type hit though.

10. phi1514

phi1514 Founding Member

Agreed and agreed....He led with his shoulder and knocked the snot out of the guy WITH HIS SHOULDER and did get blatantly face masked on that INT return!