The Chad Jones Hit in the Fourth Quarter

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by hadskey76, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

I had no problem with the call. It's hard to say there was intent...but CJ did hit helmet to helmet.

2. sassylsufan2002

sassylsufan2002 Founding Member

Agree that he led with his shoulder but the helmet did show a downward motion, whether that was from the impact or not apparently doesn't matter but that's what the official saw and called. Can't say it was because of the other guys helmet coming off and him being on the ground because he was up and walking around way before Chad..poor Chad was still crawling around on the ground.

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

That hit was perfect. CJ hit the receiver's helmet with his shoulder pad, his feet never left the ground and he drove his hips and body through the ball carrier. It was a play that safties dream about their entire lives and probably never get to make.

1 person likes this.
  4. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

I thought the helmets hit, I don't know if it matters if the shoulder hit first. This may catch some flack, but I have to tell you that I think that play is too violent for college ball. These are student athletes, not paid professionals. I agree with the rule change to protect players. I agree with the call.

5. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

I rewatched it about 5 times. I couldn't tell. I will tell you this it was one of the hardest, most violent hits I've ever seen.

6. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

7. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

Best evidence, as noted in comments of that YouTube video- look at the path the helmet takes after the hit- it continues with momentum AS SOON as Chad delivers the hit. If their helmets had even TOUCHED- it would have gone a different direction. Best seen in the last replay they show, right before the end of the video.

8. TammanyTiger50

TammanyTiger50 Founding Member

It was a bang-bang play in which ONE referee interpreted it as a penalty, while two other referees - closer to the play - did not. Honestly, helmet to helmet contact occurs on every play. Either between linemen firing off the ball or on tackles being made. It is a tough judgement call that is put on the referees to interpret.

The rule was meant to target "spearing", which is when a player uses the crown of his helment to initiate contact. It also targeted hits on defenseless players, when the helmet is used to initiate contact. CJ's hit was not a cheap shot, nor was it a hit on a defenseless player. The receiver had his hands on the ball, and CJ was coming full speed to defend the pass. He definitely led with his shoulder, but there was subsequent contact made by the helmets.

What I don't like about it is that it takes away the ability of a defender to go 100% on a play, because he MIGHT be penalized for it. Football is a violent sport, and "snot-cleaning" hits will occur. As long as a player isn't truly spearing another player or hitting a defenseless player who has no chance to make a play on the ball, I think they should be allowed to PLAY FOOTBALL. :tigerhead :lsup:

1 person likes this.
  9. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

Not a freaking chance. The dude from Tech launched himself and clearly lead with his head. These hits were good, legal, and strong hits. One of the best hits I've ever seen.

10. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

What I don't like about it is the benefit of the doubt goes to the player being hit and the penalty being called. Penalties should be like a court trial, where reasonable doubt is the standard. If you don't know for a fact it went down, don't throw the flag. That personal foul flag took forever to come in after the play, and since the referee is in the offensive backfield, there's no way he's in the best position to see the hit and make that call.