The Chad Jones Hit in the Fourth Quarter

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by hadskey76, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Clean hit but can't fault the ref. Happened fast and Jones was head hunting all game long.

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

"Welcome to Tiger Stadium"

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Totally agree on both instances, they damn sure didn't miss a chance to call facemask on LSU.

Agree to the fullest extent of the law.

Heh, I agree with all of this also.

I blew a fing gasket on this call. It was a monster tackle and was clearly not an attempt at spearing or helmet to hemlet.

:geaux:

4. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

You guys saying that the hit wasn't helmet to helmet were watching a different game than I was. It was obvious helmet to helmet contact. Intent or whether he was trying to lead with the shoulder doesn't matter as far as the rule is concerned. They cracked melons. It seemed pretty clearly evident on the slow mo replays.

It also explains why CJ was daffy and unable to get up for several moments as well as the receiver. And why the helmet flew off so violently. Their heads made violent contact.

I don't think it was a spear or a "dirty" hit, I think both players lowered their heads just before impact and thus it was a glancing blow and not full on. I guess those who hate the rule don't remember countless head, neck, and spinal injuries at every level of football each year that are result of blows to/from the head. It's there to protect these guys.

1 person likes this.
  5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

If the intent isn't there, why should it be called? This was a ferocious hit, but not a malicious one, especially considering he led with the shoulder - helmet to helmet occured because of the speed at impact of both players.

6. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

Thanks Chad Jones. I've been waiting ALL year for an all out effort like this. You don't want to get hit. Cower. If you can take it, go for the catch. No intent, incidental helmet contact. I've seen worse helmet to helmet on runs.

7. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

I loved it, my head still hurts from just seein it.

8. hadskey76

hadskey76 Founding Member

I guess the real question should be: "Would they have thrown the flag on Alabama or Florida for the same hit?":)

9. TigerBacker70

Just a guess here, but because that's what the rules say to do maybe? The rule forbidding helmet to helmet contact is to prevent player injuries. It doesn't matter what a player's intent is because that can't be measured and it doesen't matter that he hit him really hard with his shoulder. The side of CJ's helmet hit the receivers face mask really hard. It wasn't incidental contact. That's why it was called and it was the right call. Had he been at a slightly different angle and gotten a very serious neck or spinal injury, everyone would be posting differently.

If players keep their heads up and see what they're tackling like good coaches teach in Pop Warner, you'd get less penalties and injuries.

I'm glad neither got seriously injured and that he saved the TD. But the flag was legit. Now if they'd only thrown more flags when our D line was getting held so many times...

10. TigerBacker70

Not this season.