The Chad Jones Hit in the Fourth Quarter

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by hadskey76, Nov 28, 2009.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

That is not the same as leading with the helmet. Stop the video at 1:21.8. You will see, ALL of Jones' helmet in front of the left shoulder pad of the ARKY dud. The Arky dude's helmet is against Jones' shoulder pad.

I don't think anyone disputes that helmets may have touched, but you can't lead with a helmet when it is entirely visible as the hit takes place.

I can understand the call on the field, but don't understand why, in the light of day, after slowing and stopping the action there is any dispute. Good clean hit.

The only problem with that hit is that there have been so few, this one stands out!

Oh yeah, I am in luv at :21 seconds.

hwr

2. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

3. tigerfan1974

tigerfan1974 Veteran Member

Great hit, loved it, by the way...

saved a td, (for a few seconds anyway) the guy that was hit scored a few plays later.

4. tigerbaitabq

tigerbaitabq Founding Member

5. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

I'm not at home with my computer and access to the rulebook. If anybody is, please post the relevant rule. I don't think that leading with the helmet is necessary in order for it to be penalized. That's a different rule isn't it ("spearing")? From what I could hear, the ref called it a personal foul for a blow to the head. I suppose that some see it differently, what I see at 1:21.8 is CJ lower his head into the hit as he makes contact, striking the receiver in the facemask with the side of his helmet. I guess the refs saw what I saw.

I'll have to agree to disagree with anybody who dislikes the rule. I've had a 9 year old suffer a permanent brain injury in a game from trying to tackle like the big boys do. And one of my kids break another kids jaw from hitting like this.

6. arizonafan

arizonafan Veteran Member

It was a violent but legal hit. Jones didn't leave his feet and didn't lead with the helmet. There has been extra emphasis in the last several years about the helmet stuff to try to avoid career ending injuries and I'm sure the refs have been told to err on the side of caution but I think they should make it a rule that the play has to be reviewed several times in slow mo before the penalty is assessed. I've seen this same type of call made all over the country. What they should be looking for is what part of Jones' body made the initial contact not if the helmet came forward as a result of the initial contact. Naturally the head is going to come forward after as a result of the impact. It's exactly like what happens in a whip lash car accident. The car comes to a sudden stop but the body inside is still moving forward. The seat belt then stops the body but the head & neck are still moving.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I'm no expert on anatomy, but it seems to me if you lower your shoulder, your head (helmet) has to follow. I thought it was a bs call.

There's simply no way to protect football players on a football field completely from injury. It is a violent game, and meant to be played violently. What's eventually going to happen is that players, attempting to avoid situation's like CJ's last night, are going to start going lower. The hits are going to start taking place at the stomach and beltline, where players wear no protection at all. Does anyone not believe that with DB's the size and speed of CJ running around out there, we might start seeing players getting injuries to internal organs if the scenario I've described happens?

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

it was a clean hit. replay shows only minimal (brushing) helmet to helmet contact. the only problem was that chad put his head down instead of keeping the facemask up (like the USL DB did).

9. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

He led with his shoulder and, yes, the helmets touched, but it was momentum from the awesome hit. The rule needs to be re-examined, or at the very least, called equally, so that it is always flagged, not just when we make good hits on people:tigereye:

10. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

I think the ref had to call it, especially at full speed. The Razorback helmet coming off is a pretty good indicator to them.

And to those who say we lose if he doesn't make that hit, remember Arkansas scored a TD on that drive. If they score there, we would have had more time to score on the final FG drive--may have gotten a TD even.

Glad to get the win.

GEAUX TIGERS