The Chad Jones Hit in the Fourth Quarter

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by hadskey76, Nov 28, 2009.

1. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

You couldn't be more wrong by saying the flag was legit. It wasn't even close. The flag came in late because the WRs helmet came off and because they both took a bit of time to get up. There's no possible way that could be ruled "helmet to helmet".. watch the clips. Just a reminder.. shoulder to helmet is not illegal.

Example of helmet to helmet: (specifically watch the last angle)
    YouTube - Chad Boyd Lights up Toliver

Example of a clean but vicious hit:
    YouTube - LSU vs Arkansas '09 - "The Hit" by Chad Jones on Joe Adams (HQ)

2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I thinks it is good to protect the players, but some objectivity needs to come in play as well. I just don't like the rule as it is written if even incidental & secondary helmet to helmet contact is considered a personal foul. In a collision like that it is kind of hard to control your body once it has already made contact. I don't see any way Chad Jones could have avoided that without playing ineffectively.

That would have sucked, but it wouldn't have changed my opinion. Football is a violent, life-threatening sport. What I saw was him leading with the shoulder which lead to a violent collision.

I'm not sure poor technique is grounds for a personal foul penalty. If he displayed poor technique and it is a regular thing, I'd hope the coaches would address that.

I don't dislike the rule conceptually, just the execution of it and perhaps some specifics.

3. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

On the replay he did tuck his head, but there is NO way the ref saw that. I think he threw it because it looked so violent. Great hit by the Dreadlocks of Doom!!!:thumb:

4. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I agree. I see real "leading with the head" that is not called, and I see some hits, I don't see how you could do it another way and helmet to helmet is called. I think they call it on a very solid hard hit if the helmets touch (unless a Bama player spears an LSU QB named Jefferson, in which case it is not called :angry:).

5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Thats exactly what I said at the game. Told my son regardless of whether it was helmet to helmet, it just looked "bad".

6. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

It happend so fast that I couldn't tell if it was an illegal hit or not but I was 15 yards away and not only did you hear the hit you "felt" it. The air actually moved with a thud. It was like being witness to a car crash...

7. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

Those of you with purple and gold blinders don't see the helmet to helmet contact, but looking at it objectively, I did. So did the officials. It seemed obvious to me that a shoulder blow to his chest would not have popped his helmet off with violent force, but some of you persist that it can and did. As I posted earlier, you can clearly see a mark on Chad's helmet after the hit from where the Hog's face mask scratched it. Look just above the "L". IF you can honestly say that it's not at least "in question" then I don't know what to say to you. I guess his inability to get up after the play for quite a while, and dazed and vacant look in his eyes afterward were because he hurt his shoulder during the hit, right? Really???

Pause at :53 and look at the clear mark on the top of CJ's helmet. Where'd that come from? Pause the slow mo replay at 1:21 at the point of contact from the end zone angle - shoulder to Adams' chest and helmet directly in his face mask popping his helmet off. Again at 1:28 from the midfield angle you can clearly see he hits him directly in the face with the top of his helmet.

What people seem to be missing is that intent to injure isn't factored in, neither whether he left his feet, etc., etc. The rule plainly states that if he initiated contact with an opponent with the crown of the helmet it is a penalty. Period. That's what happened. It drew a deserving flag and we were penalized. End of story. Whether you think the rule is stupid isn't really important either. I think the leverage penalty we got to lose to Auburn a few years ago is bogus too, but the rule is the rule.

I'm not gong to go on and on about it because it's obvious to anyone with eyes and a pause button who is looking at it objectively that it was a good call by the rules. If you don't clearly see that it's because you are trying not to and no matter how many times you look at what is clearly on the video you'll never see it.

Still a needed win for the Tigers so it's all good. I can live with you being wrong about it. :wink:

8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Your post is a great example of why eye witness accounts of accidents and robberies are frequently of no use to the po po. Different people see different things.

I am just as sure, though not as long winded, as you about the shoulder leading and the mo of the Arky's head contacting Jones' helmet (the shoulder stopped, but the head, attached by the flexible neck, kept moving.) Clearly shown at 1:21.

No doubt the helmets at some point touched, but Jones, based on the identical footage you cited, did not lead with his helmet.

Don't fault the call or the officials, one bit, tough to see in real time.

And have a great day!

hwr

1 person likes this.
  9. LSUpathdoc

LSUpathdoc Trust me, I'm a Doctor

Ok maybe it was an illegal hit, maybe it wasn't. What has me a little pissed is the disparity of the calling this year. You can not call that hit illegal and let the la tech guy get away with the hit on TT. The one on TT was obviously illegal I mean he launched himself at Tolliver! My problem is if you are going to call one call them both and if you dont call one dont call the other. It think the call against Jones was kind of weak. :tigerhead

10. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

That's a fair assessment. I don't think it was the same officiating crew. There's a lot of leeway and judgment on certain calls, what one ref is strict on the next may be lenient on. However the hit on TT was obviously illegal as well, that one was a no doubt call that was missed IMO. I see some refs that call a lot of holding and some let it slide unless it affects the play, some crews are super strict about lining up properly and call a lot of illegal formations and some let the tackles sit back a off of the line more. I don't think anyone will disagree that SEC officiating is at an all time low, even my friends that aren't SEC fans notice it when they watch big games.