The changing ambiance of Tiger Stadium

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LuvDoc, Jun 16, 2005.

1. LuvDoc

LuvDoc Founding Member

I havn't made many games the last 5 years due to living in VA, but when I have gone I have been very disappointed by the use of the new scoreboard video and PA system to blare freakin commercials or music between plays or during TOs etc. Very contrary to my memory of the tiger stadium experience. Wholly inappropriate. Like its a commercialized NFL game or something (ever been to the dome for a saints game? that's where we are headed). And it's like they turned the volume up to 11, just too damn loud!!

Also, are the new lights on the upper decks upgraded from the yellowish old dim lights we used to have? Although it gave the broadcasters fits, they did as much to create the TS ambiance as anything else. They added to the feeling of hazy, suppresive humidity.

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

'But these go to eleven!' :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I know what you mean, though. It's just the byproduct of corporate sponsorship. I don't like it either, especially those retarded Saturn races...how lame. But it's getting more and more like that everywhere you go. The entire world is slowly turning into one gigantic advertisement. Puke.

3. j0nathanr0y

j0nathanr0y Founding Member

word on the street is, we are getting new scoreboards, the big ole box set for more advertising and a lot more LSU graphics around the stadium with the new upgrade. You may not see it this year, but prob by next.

4. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I think the PA system is just not good. Sometimes I cant hear Borne depending on where I am.

5. Consensus

Consensus Founding Member

I couldn't agree more. Serious football fans don't want any kind of distracting t.v. commercial or other such crap on the big screen between plays. I like the replays, but the other graphic displays are totally un-football.

It seems to me that the collective personality of the fans in the stadium is slowly chaging, as well. I don't know about you guys, but I wear my hardhat when I'm at the games. I've got a job to do. My job is to make as much noise as I can, at the right times. I'm gonna be standing up and bangng my foot on the metal bleacher most of the game. Well, I'm starting to get more and more ugly looks from people. Too many people sit quietly while th game is going on. Too many people come to the game, wearing their fine clothes, looking for an excuse to leave the game early, so they can go out to restaurants and clubs. The game has become a social event - a place to be seen. The game is secondary to too many people. They are the ones who enjoy cutesy graphic crap on the Jumbo, and miss the next play while watching the end of some stupid commercial.

I think the ticket prices going up have scared away the blue collar football fans.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

if not for all this corporate sponsorship your tickets would cost you over 100 bucks apiece face value.

I'll take the b.s. so i can afford to watch the team which is what matters most.

welcome to the 19th century.

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I understand about corporate sponsorship but I absolutely refuse to watch that ... that's just plain stupid to put it nicely.

8. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

And that is a bad thing? It seems like he cheerleads and gives out nothing but SWAC and Sunbelt scores. Where's Sid!

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

not to mention its scores of the 1st quarter in games you were watching at noon before you left the house.

10. philter

philter Founding Member

At least our helmets don't have FORD on them instead of the LSU logo...in soccer (especially in Europe) the entire front of the uniform is a corporate logo, and you may get lucky and have your team's name on the jersey too.