The changing ambiance of Tiger Stadium

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LuvDoc, Jun 16, 2005.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

There have been many a fan at Tigers games for the social value instead of the game itself since the bigenning of the program, but I have to say there are much less at LSU than in most places. Many of the females students were in that grouping when I was in the student sections. By going to a few LSU games the past several years I think it is still just as loud as ever before, the ambience is still terrific and the place lives up to it's fame.

I would guess the biggest difference is the amount of liquor drank at the games and the amount of students crammed into the student section. Back in the day they used to have at least 2.5 people for every seat over there. We could get a bunch of people in on a ticket.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The last of the old bowl lights came down over ten years ago. New lights went up on the west upper deck in the 70s. The old west side light masts can now be seen at the McClendon practice facility where they now light the practice fields.

The old east bowl lights continued to be used into the 80's. But they did not meet new night TV standards and several night games in the late 80's, temporary lights were hung from cranes nearby to boost the lumens in Tiger Stadium for TV.

Some time in the late 80's, it seems, they finally upgraded the lights on the old east masts. Of course the new east deck came with brand new lights as will the new west deck.

3. LuvDoc

LuvDoc Founding Member

Thanks, Red.

I guess change is inevitable, but why gore my sacred cow.

"What's with these new bands, everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974." -H. Simpson

4. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

When you're kickin' tail, the scoreboard is your cheerleader.

I want a homer on the radio, not at the stadium. Kentucky, with their PA's "First down, Kennnntuckyyy", and Arkansas' "that's another Arkansas Razorback FIRST DOWN", are just obnoxious. Borne is as bad with his touchdown call. The stadium isn't the place for that stuff.

5. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

This is where you and I would differ just a bit. I agree that I like a guy on radio that is "partial" to the home team. Certainly not a homer but you knwo they are pulling for you team but they are fair and balanced. But, I think that PA guys should sorta lean towards the home team and make it exciting when yoru team scores. I think it adds to your mystique at the stadium. If you dont want to hear PA that leans toward one team then play all games at neutral sites. :lsup: I for one like Dan Borne. Although, some of the basketball announcing is aggrevating....CT 3....................(players run down court and other team hits shot) For 3!

6. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

You obviously don't understand the concept of home field advantage. The stadium is EXACTLY the place for that stuff. If the home teams announcer isn't allowed to show bias, then I suppose we shouldn't allow the fans to cheer when their team does well or boo the other team either.

7. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

gotta disagree here. it's part of the home field advantage/experience. i love borne. ........................."alley broussard scooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooores!!!!!!!!!!".........................
    i remember when we went to starkville in 95 or 96 their PA guy sounded like a freakin robot. it was terrrible.
    you can't tell me you feel nothing when he announces...."it's saturday night in death valley!" cmon!!
    but while we're on the subject of old stuff. i miss the old LSU scoreboard when they used to write out what happened after every play. i still liike video screens and all but i miss that a little.

Tyler to Lafleur for the first. Flag.:hihi:

8. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

We are LSU. We do not need to stoop to the levels of State, UK, and Arkansas, the 3rd world powers of the SEC. Our home field advantage is the leather lungs that do not need to be proded by the PA announcer.

When I was growing up (and hating LSU), it killed me knowing that Sid Crocker was impartial and that obnoxious crowd was yelling like that on their own. It was a complete feeling of doom listen to the LSU fans starting that "Go... go...go" chant everytime the Tigers had the ball, regardless of field position. Tiger Stadium is the fans, not "Good evening, this is Dan Borne..." We are above that stuff.

9. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

And I dislike the bobble head races, too.

10. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

ok we can agree on the bobble head races:thumb: