The clock management is what it is

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 9, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yes, without knowing what went on, anyone would say that's about as good as one could do it.

The way we got there is in question.

IF we really planned on kicking the FG, then letting the clock run down to 37 seconds was absolutely correct thing to do, since you don't want to leave Florida with much time in which to operate if we tie the game.

IF we planned on faking it to try and get a first down in order to score a TD, then wasting 35 precious seconds on the clock was not what anyone would want to do in that situation.

Jasper said after the game that they didn't find out they were going to fake it until after the timeout was called.

2. Herb

Herb Founding Member

They have boxed themselves in with their utter hatred of Miles and can't concede that he has a long, successful career as a football coach who has any level of competence whatsoever.

I have a close friend that is like this. If Les screws up like he did last week, I am on his speed dial and one of the 1st people he calls. If we beat an under ranked Florida team in their house in a game with almost no stupid penalties or coaching shortcomings, his cell phone goes to voicemail.

I will be sending him your pic of the plate of crow today.

3. mach316

mach316 Founding Member

I almost fell out of my chair when he called the time out. I though, I've never seen a coach try to ice his own kicker. WTF....

4. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

I guess people don't realize it would've been a delay of game if he doesn't call the timeout. I doubt even Miles would try to ice his own kicker, lol.

5. roynav

roynav free your mind

10 points in less than 90 seconds. Thats pretty good in my book. Could say they won the game right there.

6. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

but if we didn't let the clock run down before calling the TO then i think CUM would've realized we were trying a fake. He had to let the clock run down in order to completely sell the fake.

7. kcal

kcal Founding Member

this

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I'm quite sure that you're bluffing about enjoying the game and the victory....you seem to wallow in misery too much for me to take you seriously.

too bad for you.

9. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

he was agressive at the crucial time when it was a MUST. I felt we could have been less conservative on play calling when Lee was in there. Florida KNEW we would run Ridley twice then hope for a prayer 3rd down. Our recievers are SO GOOD we should have been mixing it up a bit more with Lee under center. THAT would have EVEN helped Ridley more. Throw a couple of times on first down.....

the stats show the game should not have even been close.

Those two series in the second half, had we done some play action, we'd have scored twice more.... ( or at least I feel like we would have ) they couldnt cover Tolliver.

10. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

he did a better job of clock management this week for sure. ( Ive seen worse thats for sure...... last week in fact! ) Odd that fate would have a trial come up again so quickly. It wasnt perfect by any means. I think the fact that they practiced on it all week helped.

I just hope the TEAM and coaches dont revert back to what it was before. This could come up again. Now that the team and Miles knows how to do a better job of clock management, expand on it and get even better.

coaching staff should be PRO active not reactive. Now that they KNOW they need to practice it do it from time to time. Dont take it for granted, like we have in the past.

One way to avoid mistakes is PRACTICE not making them in that situation.

I'd give Miles a B+ on clock this week. I'm just glad he actually gave it some time in practice. Maybe he isnt as dumb as I thought... he wants to keep his job :hihi: