The clock management is what it is

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

on Lee's possession, we only ran Ridley once.
    TD pass came on 2nd down.

on Jefferson's drive, the 2nd play (1st and ten) was a designed pass play, Jefferson ran because of coverage.
    very next play (also a 1st and ten) we threw a pass to shep.
    inaccurate, but we called a pass play.
    3 1st down plays, 2 passes called.

2. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

they did open it up more. I think Miles must have had a conference in Aleva's office, something sure changed. I hope they continue to practice this way and open it up even more. We got WAY too conservative and predictable in the 2nd half.

3. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

not on JJ's drive, two of Lee's pocessions after Florida scored, we ran first and second down then threw on 3rd, twice. We might of converted one I cant remember, but it put us in a third and long and If you have been watching and know anything about football you know we do that WAY too much and eventually the odds will catch up with you.

Even the announcers noticed that U of F KNEW we were going to run the ball on 1st n 2nd with Lee in. Its not a huge problem we just got a little TOO predictable for a couple series. I think had we been a tad more agressive based on them not being able to cover tolliver, we could have distanced our selves and gotten some style points for the polls.
    A large points spread does help.

not trying to be negative.....just saying.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

since you responded to the comment about the way the 1st half ended, i assumed that was the 2 drives you were referencing.

if so, my post is accurate.

5. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

no sorry man it wasnt about the first half ending.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yeah I think it's a misconception we got conservative in the 2nd half. Much to the contrary actually.

Even with Jefferson in there, we completed a 29 yard down the field pass to Randle. Then on first down, we went for the kill shot to put us up by 2 TDs.

I was happy with how we were aggressive.

7. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

WITH LEE in we ran on first and second down, twice. Florida knew what was coming when Lee was under center. ANYTIME the other team knows what is coming, its bad. These were the ONLY series that they really had much luck stopping Ridley. He sat on a slim lead and didnt get agressive until we were behind.... truth.

8. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

So we ran the ball with the throwing QB and threw it with the running QB. Sounds predictable to me. :rolleye33:

Truth is that that bomb that we threw with JJ was really really aggressive. We should have played the short game to get into FG range and then tried to throw it. That series of aggressiveness could have cost us the game. We needed those 3 points on that drive...

9. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

You arent listening, EVEN the announcers said we sat on a small lead. We did. later we did get agressive. it worked out.

It is JUST my opinion and I might be ALL ALONE but I THINK if during LEE's ( see LEE NOT JJ ) possession in the second half, had we thrown on first down, we MIGHT have scored a couple more TD's..... FLorida expected us to run ( RIDLEY ) on 1st and 2nd with Lee in the game BECAUSE he isnt a running QB. With JJ in they couldnt KEY on just Ridley. They had to respect JJ's running ability too. ... I hope this makes sense.

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I was tired of seeing that play becoming a trend also, but I began to suspect that...

All those Ridley up the middle calls when Lee is in the game...to the point that Fla KNEW it was coming were all about setting things up for a Lee downfield pass on first down.

I don't remember Lee actually throwing downfield on First down, but it's there in the game film for future opponents to KNOW as well.