The Dark Web

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Video explains deep web, darkweb, tor, ect

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So I think it's a good time to revive this thread. Basically what I have learned is that the dark net is simply a place where people want privacy and not have the eyes of the government or any other institutions spying on them or collecting data.

This seems like a good thing to me. There are tons of places within the dark net that are strictly social places, there are also criminals just like there are in regular society. So the question is, and should be, how is it legal for the government to spy throughout the dark net, or hack servers without a warrant, when in the real world you must have a warrant to collect evidence behind closed doors.

It's a fascinating argument.

For complete anonymity you must combine a VPN that doesn't collect log data and a Tor browser.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Take your chances. Lots of hit men and even more cops pretending to be hit men out there. Let me know if you find a real one so I can get some bitcoin

4. LaSalleAve

What's your stance on internet anonymity?

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

And guys pretending to be hit men who will take your bitcoin and never kill the intended victim

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Never really thought about it. I guess if you look at the creeps that try to get with underage girls, and by that I mean like 12 then I don't have an issue with them snooping. Same for the hit man thing or other nefarious deeds. My life is boring (not really) but I doubt that anyone is really watching.

Good point

7. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

I've worked in IT for 16 years. I can tell you to be truly "anonymous", you have to jump through some hoops. You have to learn basic and even a little advanced networking. I personally couldn't care less if the government is "spying" on me over the net. With all the crazy shit going on, its rather comforting to know they are watching. I have nothing to hide. But there are two sides to being anonymous - 1, to protect yourself from hackers or 2, hide from the law/government. And of course, there could be a third option - both.
    I think anyone who has internet and a router should learn basic networking and understand how a router works and how to tweak its options. Today's routers/wireless APs have lots of security features that I have found many people don't use. I setup a home network/wireless for a friend. He had his wireless wide open (no password). When I viewed his connection logs on his router, there were 5 people on his street connected to HIS wireless, slowing down his internet. Probably one of the most basic settings!
    Anyway, stay away from the "dark net" boys and girls. There is nothing you need to see there. And you definitely don't want to be spending money down there either.

LSUTiga likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

Do you game? Can you give me a good suggestion on a gaming router I don't have to port forward? That was a pain in the ass on my last one and i just feel I'm not getting the most out of it. It's a linksys wrt ac1200

9. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

Hey @LaSalleAve yes I game a bit, though not as much as I used to. I don't know of a router where you don't have to port forward (where that is necessary). But, if you need a better quality router (than that linksys) look for a DLink or even a NetGear. Check out NewEgg (all true computer nerds shop and review stuff there lol). I am currently using a NetGear (a model that is no longer offered). But the best I've ever had is DLink DIR-655. As for "forwarding ports"... if this gives you problems, just go into your router settings and find where you can enter a DMZ host/server. Add the IP address of your gaming PC (your internal IP - ie: 192.168.1.XXX) as the DMZ server in your router. No more port forwarding. Unless you have a major problem with hackers in your area, this won't hurt a thing. I ran an FTP server for many years with my PC set as the DMZ. Most all routers have this feature.