The Dark Web

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Mine had 2MB RAM and a 100MB hard drive. I bought two more MB of RAM for about $100 at the same time I bought the 2400 modem at Radio Shack. There were floppy disks for both AOL and Prodigy in the box with the modem.

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

The ole 300 baud modems were the ones you had to set your phone receiver in, so it could 'hear' the tones and know what to do. Those were the days before modems that sounded like this.

What, no Compuserve disk?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I got Compuserve later. I just saw this story about Google building a Quantum Computer. @MikeInLa might know more about what it would do and why build one

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/technol...r-and-why-is-google-building-one.html/?ref=YF

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

My first one was 300 baud and you had to put a telephone handset on it to work.

[​IMG]

5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

When I worked at my last job, our IT guy stopped by my office every morning and thanked me for providing him with job security. He told me more than once that I knew enough about computers to be dangerous. He was spot on.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The only way you are dangerous with a computer is if you hit someone over the head with one:D

7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I've been tempted more than once.

Bengal B likes this.
  8. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

My wife's first computer was an Adam. It used cassette tapes (like the ones we used to record music onto) and the display was a TV. I still have it in the closet. I am afraid to power it up because it might let the smoke out.

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

On my first computer in the mid 80s, I had an NFL game that gave you about a dozen offensive and defensive plays to select. All you did was pick the play and then wait a few seconds to see the result. Running plays against nickel or dime defenses did well and team strengths played a role.

The Saints were the worst team and may have been coming off that 1-15 season. The only team I could get close to beating was the Oilers. At least twice, I took a lead in the 4th qtr only to have that Billy White Shoes guy return the following kickoff for a TD and crush my 8 yr old spirit.

Until Tecmo Bowl came out a few years later, I preferred those old vibrating football games or even the paper and pencil football game that you had to close your eyes and avoid the lines.

10. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Back on topic, sometimes I see discussions about the deep/dark web and figure there is something that may be interesting. Then, the focus dwells on the obvious areas like this thread has done and I lose interest. Just not worth the risk.