The Desolation of Smaug

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 29, 2013.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Gandalf held the third ring, Elrond and Galadriel the other two. It was given to him by Cirdan.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Ahh yeah you're right. It's hard to remember everything.

I think another cool story to adapt to a movie or even a television series would be the flight of the Noldor and the curse of Feanor and his children.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

No 3D for me. Makes me sick to my stomach. It was a good, but short scene.
    Sauron was banished, not completely destroyed. To me it seems as if Tolkien gave favor to the Elves, Galadriel in particular. She was stronger than Gandalf and Radagast. That was made clear many times IMO. The spell nearly killed her anyway.

Yes. Something along the lines of the battle between Gandalf and Sauruman in Fellowship.

4. red55

Not really in the books. Tolkien clearly stated that she was the mightiest of the noble elves. But the wizards were Maiar, essentially angels. They were forbidden to fight Sauron's power with power lest they become corrupted, but to use their powerful magic and wisdom to guide the free peoples of the west. Galadriel would not have been able to defeat the Balrog, a fallen Maia, as Gandalf did.

5. LaSalleAve

Galadriel was of the Noldor though, and had that ring. I think the ring was the key. Nenya was what gave her the power and had Sauron had his she would be subject to his will, but because he didn't she was more powerful.

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I agree that her story is a little unfinished. I think she's easily written off though. Thandruil banished her so she has no kingdom to return to. Kili is gone so she has a broken heart and even essentially asked Thandruil to kill her. She didn't return Legolas' feelings so her part is over. I would have preferred they keep Kili and let the Orc kill her. And Legolas was a pure warrior. They shouldn't have thrown the love part in there.

I loved it. Just can't do 3D. I hated to see Thorin killed but a great battle between him and Azog.

7. red55

There are no female characters in the Hobbit, so Jackson had to invent one and bring in Galadriel in an attempt to make the movie more appealing to women. Same with the implausible love story, a touch of romance for the girls. Tall hot babes fall for dwarves all the time, right?

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

IDK, maybe. Although I think it's understating Galadriel's importance to say Jackson merely brought her in. She was the Queen of the higher order of Elves. Frankly, Aragorn and Legolas make the movie more than appealing to women....IMO. And wasn't the love story of Aragorn and Arwen enough? I think so.

Lol. Not so much. Anyway a modern tall hot elven babe would go for the dwarf with the money and power so I say Thoriel hooks up with Thorin when nobody was watching.

9. red55

That's basically what I thought. Women who like fantasy novels and sword and sorcery films do not require a sappy romance. Just a romantic hero.

Perhaps, but I suspect that the bearded dwarf women are a vigorous toss. And they really covet gold.

10. LaSalleAve

Hell all the female characters were embellished. At least Galadriel, Eowyn, and Arwen existed in the mythos. Evangeline Lilly is hot but her character was completely created by Jackson.

I really liked Smaug and his arrogance. There was another dragon in the Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin named Glaurung who was also a fire Drake, and he was a bad ass.