The Desolation of Smaug

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 29, 2013.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

It doesn't, go have a beer and watch some nascar.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

At least in NASCAR they don't drive not to lose

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Dude, no one is clowning you for reading, we are clowning you for WHAT you are reading. Its okay though, To each his own.

Bengal B likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Doesn't Elvish live at Grashland?

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You are clowning yourselves. We can tell who the literature-challenged are.

And we know who the intellect-challenged are, too.

6. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

i plan on going to see this Christmas day. should be good

7. red55

I saw it yesterday and it is about what I expected. They turned a short chapter of the book into a 2 hour movie but they did a great job of the battle scenes. It's not your standard melee. And the cinematography is fabulous, even though there is CG in just about every scene. All-in-all a pretty good job and the shortest of the six Tolkien films. Kind of choppy in places but there will no doubt be an extended version with the missing scenes replaced.

TBTrumpet likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yeah, I thought as far as movies go, and taking the book completely off the table, the movie was pretty good. I suggest anyone who plans on going to see it at least watch the last 45 minutes of part 2 before you go because the 3rd movie just jumps right into it. I would have liked more conversations with Smaug, I enjoyed his dialogue. What I thought was really cool was the adaptations and the battle scene at Dol Goldur with the 9 ring wraiths and then Sauron coming out, and the Angmar stuff.

My 2 complaints. Tauriel, she should have died, because it makes no sense to have her not and not even be mentioned in The Lord of the Rings movies. Where did she go, what became of her, I know she was made up by Peter Jackson but he should have offed her to keep it clean. That's a problem with prequels and the Star Wars prequels really suffered from things like that. Like why didn't Vader ever realize 3PO was 3PO being he created him. Another example of this in The Hobbit 3 is Thranduil sending Legolas to find the Dunedain, Aragorn. If you remember Legolas in the Fellowship of the Ring shows up at Rivendell with a few other elves from Mirkwood, when he clearly leaves Thranduil on the battlefield by himself . Did he just pick these stray elves up? I also thought they really rushed everything, which is odd for this series because everything else feels long and drawn out.

All in all it was good, I recommend it's visually spectacular in 3D and there are some really great fight scenes, my favorite was the fight with Sauruman, Elrond, Galadriel, and the 9, and when Galadriel uses her ring and goes psycho that's sweet.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Goblin chaser

Bengal B likes this.
  10. red55

Imagination deficient.