The early NFL Exodus

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Jan 7, 2020.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

The casual fan doesn't, for sure. But the hardcore fans who suffered through the Les Miles days surely do. I'm sort of kidding!

Obviously, the suffering was during the Curly Hallman era, but I mention suffering through the Miles years because of the talent and seasons squandered by his inability to develop a QB and his hard headed refusal to move away from his 70's Big Ten offense. How many more nattys would we have? But you know what, if all that had to happen for us to have this season, then I wouldn't trade for the world.

2. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Man y’all are a trip. Whether you’re 1st rounder or not, the nfl is all about the 2nd and 3rd contracts. These aren’t the Jamarcus days. 1st round money definitely different but it doesn’t matter when you got drafted if you ball out and get paid on contract 2 or 3. If you don’t come from money, the chance to get drafted and get better in the league while getting paid, it’s worth it. The risk of not having as good of a team and that affecting their draft position OR getting injured instead of getting paid is quite the risk in and of itself. For every metric saying guys flame out because they’re not ready, there’s similar metrics for guys getting drafted in lower rounds but end up making more money than 1st rounders. How can I improve on winning a National Championship??? Especially when the locomotive is gone! Besides, you miss every shot you don’t take.

Think about Charles at LT. He missed several games this season. Probably for drugs...hopefully no more than weed. He’s listed at 6’5 which means he’s probably 6’3. He’s not growing to 6’6. Even if he has another stellar year, the NFL is going to “measurable” him into the same draft position he’s in now. But the kid can play and he will have a chance to play...just probably not at LT.

Queen and Phillips will be fine. MLBs don’t get drafted that high without a massive hype machine a la Devin White. Neither were getting that. Not enough splash plays but had really good seasons and will get drafted. MLBs don’t always go high in the draft but the NFL drafts a ton of LBs every year. Neither are Devin White but they can play. They’re not going to turn into Devin next year either.

Miss is much better than the 10th best tight end. By draft time he’ll creep up into 3-5 range just based on his hands. If he was 2/10 faster in the 40 he’d be top 2. Speed is his only weakness and needs to be his focus in training.

Delpit, Jefferson, and Helaire are no brainers.

Cush ain’t getting better in college and he’s a weak offense away from regressing. He just set protections on a National Championship and award winning line. Same as Charles, go now! He’s #3 center right now projected 2nd-3rd rounder. Great for a center when there’s only about 60 in the league. 2nd contract...

I think Chaisson had a chance to be a top 5 pick with another year. He’s the only one I personally think is sacrificing front end money. But he’s a beast. 2nd contract...

Some of y’all got some nerve man. It’s perfectly fine to question the wisdom but to damn them to failure? Geez...

StaceyO, TeamofSavages and el005639 like this.
  3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I didn't suffer through the Hallman era.

I suffered through the championship game of 2011 through the end of 2017. Defense after defense after defense wasted. No chance at even a new years day bowl, much less another BCS CG or CFP.

furduknfish and 65Grad like this.
  4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

That was kinda my point. Squandered talent, squandered seasons. This year proved that all we needed was a QB and a modern offense and we would probably be the team of the decade.

Did you just get used to losing?

5. kcal

kcal Founding Member

are you implying that I said they should leave?

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Players are going to learn more in college than the NFL; they only care about the bottom line. If you don’t immediately catch traction, you’re at risk of never making it.

It sounds like you’re saying only Chaisson could have improved his stock significantly, but I don’t think that’s true. Regardless, I wish them the best and have confidence in O to replace them.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

No one "damning them to failure " just pointing out the way it is. There is no more of "The game slowing down" it only gets tougher and faster and as good as these kids are in CFB they are nothing special in the NFL. Another year in college makes their chances of getting that 2nd or 3rd contract that much better. The stats are out there.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  8. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

There is a lot of truth to this, but you sound entirely like an agent, my dude!

Truth is, a lot of fans really just wanna see their depth chart rise with staying talent. Who really cares where they end up or how hard we suffer in their absence. You never really hear about had (insert name here) only stayed during the course of the following season. Fans are gonna fan.

But I also believe there is some legitimate conversations about players who may have better opportunities at a 2nd or 3rd contract based on measurables in college. Can they grow through good coaching? Can they fill other positions and excell?? Can they drop their immaturities and grow into better players in a system??? College ball can prove that and give themselves early leverage into the league.

One can also argue going in the 3rd or 4th...later rounds give them a better chance with a better team/ system offering them a better chance at spash money on that 2nd or 3rd contract. So there's that...

9. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Leaving early gives them a 1 year head start on their rookie contract. That's all this is about. Frankly which one of us would turn down the chance to make 200+k when we were 21 y/o. Young dumb and full of...is a real thing we all experienced.

10. kcal

kcal Founding Member

this is spot on