Crime The Eric Garner murder

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Dec 4, 2014.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

no, but he still died at their hands.

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

We definitely agree on that. And I'm not saying they should be prosecuted. I really don't know and frankly, I don't have the time to research laws and rewatch videos etc. the point I was making is why can't these guys (talking about victims of excessive police force, not black guys to be clear) just shut their mouths and move on. I've had run ins with mouthy asshole cops who are overstepping their boundaries. Keep your mouth shut and hope for the best. Most of these situations would be fixed by that. Of course that's except for Tamir Rice. That's different. Those two idiots should be prosecuted.

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

i understand what you are saying and im not being obtuse here when i say this and not that you are talking about black folks. But do you realize how long we have heard that we should just shut up and comply and I think it has a great deal to do with the attitudes of minorities in the police. I brought up history in another post and this is what I was really referring to, the impact history has on the attitudes of minority attitudes towards the police.
    its a snowball effect with recent events, Brown probably caused his own death, i dont think Garner did, Rice had a hand in his, but its a lot of cases stacked up of the same nature.
    My dad and I discussed this at breakfast saturday because they organized a local protest at a Target and he said to me, its stupid to loot and burn down things, you are hurting people in your own neighborhood, he went on to say that he felt like the police were wrong to a certain extent and he is upset over the grand jury decisions, but he would rather show up and vote to change laws than protest.

4. mobius481

I guess the thing is that some of my white friends and I have to shut up and comply too. I know white guys in high school that got mouthy with cops and got roughed up. I think there's a bit of a misonception that this issue totally runs along racial lines. I will agree that the black community gets it worse, i'm not naive. But it's not like the Dave Chapelle skit where white guys just talk shit to cops or pat them on the back and send them on their way with no repercussions.

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Sometimes that crosses my mind and then I think if someone has died or been unjustly treated how can I NOT watch or re-watch videos, etc. It seems a small sacrifice on my part to try and get it right.

Unless you are a female and you are targeted for no other reason. Cops use their badge all the time to exert their power to any number of excesses including sexual assault. I was taught at a very early age that if a cop wants to pull me over, I should drive to a well lit area or where there are witnesses.

6. mobius481

Lots of people die

yeah, I agree. Even as a guy my parents told me the same.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The cop definitely should be prosecuted, or at least fired. Here's the thing, it's your job to contain this man without any harm falling upon himself or you. he failed miserably, and used an illegal chokehold in doing so, therefore he should be fired at the very least. But i think he should be prosecuted because of the chokehold.

Now that being said, people are going to have to learn what resisting is, and what the potential outcomes of resisting arrest are. One being death.

8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

It is almost comical that African American's seem to think they are the sole victims of Police stupidity/brutality. I have never been beaten, but I have received the most idiotic answers from the men in blue.

My car was T-boned last year by a guy that appeared drug crazed. I did not want to take my eyes off him, since he looked wild, I did get the license, he promptly left the scene, laying rubber.

When the man finally arrived, they sat in their car, with the window cracked 1//10 of an inch. Called up the guy on the computer, who I identified, and then said, sorry, we can do nothing, he lives in the county, out of city limits.

Hundreds of calls to sheriff, police, etc, got me no where. I have had friends beaten at Myrtle Beach. I am not fan of the cops, but their stupidity is not restricted to dealing with one race.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This is true. I have been roughed up by cops. I had less trouble with police in Mexico. But I must say this . . . I have had to deal with American police maybe a dozen times in my life for one reason or another as a complainant, a victim, a witness or a perp and 11 of those times the cops were polite, professional, and honorable.

But the one cop that abuses you for no good reason will change forever how you view cops. They are not like TV cops, they can kill you and get away with it and they know it. The worst thing is that the "good" cops will just stand there and let some irate bastard fuck with you, or walk away so they don't have to witness it. They back each other up. They will ignore abuse, they will plant evidence, they will lie under oath to protect another cop. I understand why they must do this, but the problem is that they don't get rid of their bad apples. There is no excuse for that, if they want to be respected.

I must also say this . . . the brothers get it worse than we do. It ain't always racial, the black cops are just as overbearing as the white cops and they ain't exactly handing out candy to black suspects. But race plays a part in cop misbehavior, especially in areas with high black crime. Cops tend to pre judge and err on the side of their own biases.

Bengal B likes this.
  10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

no ones saying that cops arent part of the galactically stupid. i am saying the fear of black men is represented in cops. that anxiety is always at play and is something you being white will never understand. nor myself. they get treated much more aggressively on all levels. and that tension never dissipates.

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.