The "Experts" on ESPNU said Lee should start.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by onceanlsufan, Oct 6, 2010.

1. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Was watching the "Experts" on ESPNU last night. Can't find a link to the transcript, but they all agreed that Lee should start, and the coaches should run plays that emphasis his strengths. .. they also said that JJ should play some in situations that emphasis his strengths.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Our "expert" says JJ should start, because he's super terrific.

So there you have it.

3. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

After the UT game I thought a system where Lee got the majority of snaps, with Jefferson coming in for zone read plays would work. Then I remembered who the OC was and realized it's just better if Lee gets the start, period, and if he begins to struggle with picks and 3 and outs, put in Jefferson as a change of pace.

4. mach316

mach316 Founding Member

I'm to the point that I think lee should play the whole game. I'm not sure what "special" situations would call for Jeffersons expertise. Let lee prove himself, either good or bad. We have one of the worst scoring offenses in college football, what could it hurt?

5. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Experts, huh? Well, my wife said the exact same thing after she watched the replay Sunday night, and she's pretty damn far from an expert.

Jefferson doesn't hand the ball of any better than Lee does. In fact, we ran a sweep with Lee vs Vandy (the only one that I can remember all year) and it worked great. Not sure why we haven't seen it with JJ. Regardless, with Lee in the game, the other team has to respect the pass, which makes running easier. With JJ in there, they know what's coming. It's not as if he's some beast like Tebow that can simply will his way into the end zone.

6. mach316

mach316 Founding Member

Jefferson has not ran well since he got hurt last year.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I agree in general. But in circumstances where we are running out the clock trying to preserve a lead, Jeffersons running threat keeps defenses from keying entirely on Ridley and Shepard. Every DC in the conference saw that 69-yard run and can't let it happen to them.

8. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

If JJ can't hack it as the starter, why can't Shepard be the change of pace guy?........probably because we can't get both of our scholarship QBs hurt that way.

9. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

This.

You want a "change of pace," run Shepard out of the Wild Tiger.

Last week's 100 yard rushing performance notwithstanding (83 yards and the six coming on one play), people act like Jordan Jefferson is this great running threat, with the physical attributes and skill set of Dennard Robinson or Michael Vick even. What game are ya'll watching? He doesn't really impress me as a runner. He's terrible on the option (yet we keep running it! :cry:)

What he brings to the table really isn't what we need in a quarterback in this offense. We need a guy who can sell a great play action fake to Ridley, scan the field, and hit Tolliver or Randle in stride for a touchdown. We need a guy who can throw a bullet on 4th and 15 and we're down by four. We don't need another running athlete at QB, got plenty of those at the other five skill spots. We just need somebody who can get them the football.

1 person likes this.
  10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Good point. If you watch the off-tackle run in the final seconds where he was stopped you'll notice he WAY overstrides, "reaching" for where he should have been running to. Lost his center of gravity and any chance of getting farther than he did.

He was so anxious to cut and reach insted of run, had he hit the outside he had a block, and an easy 6.