The extra point

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I haven't seen anybody else mention this but from the end zone camera view it looked to me like the Hogs extra point was wide left. Having said that there are a couple of other things. Saban coached a great game for 59 minutes, but with 3rd and 6 from the 13 yard line why did they line up in a power I and run Toe off tackle. A play like that has a very low percentage of picking up the 1st down. It would have made a lot more sense to spread it out it a multiple receiver formation and run something that gives Randall an option to pass or run. Even if they didn't score a first down at that point would have been game over. Then after the kickoff on the first play why not put at least a 4 man pass rush on Jones He had only completed 2 passes all day and on the long completion to the LSU 30 there is no way Jones completes that pass if he hadn't had all day to throw it. I have never understood the philosophy behind the Prevent defense. If I had a dollar for every game I have seen where the team with an offense that had been shut down for the whole game moved the ball into scoring position in 3 or 4 plays with the clock running out I would never have to work another day for the rest of my life.

That goes for both college and Pro football The Tiger defense had totally shut down Arkansas's passing game for 59 1/2 minutes, but that defensive scheme is not good enough for the last 30 seconds? I just don't get it

2. WooStLouiee

WooStLouiee Freshman

Again, CBS had awful camera angles. If they had had cameras on the goalposts, it would have been clear to the broadcast audience. Instead, we've got fans arguing an extra point based on a view from a camera at the top of the stadium behind the end zone. This view offers no depth perception as to when the ball crossed the crossbars. Just as in the Pierce TD, the ref's had a better view than the cameras. I'm not saying they may not have blown the TD call, but I seriously doubt they blew the extra point call.

Go Hogs

3. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

<<< I haven't seen anybody else mention this but from the end zone camera view it looked to me like the Hogs extra point was wide left. Having said that there are a couple of other things. Saban coached a great game for 59 minutes, but with 3rd and 6 from the 13 yard line why did they line up in a power I and run Toe off tackle. A play like that has a very low percentage of picking up the 1st down. It would have made a lot more sense to spread it out it a multiple receiver formation and run something that gives Randall an option to pass or run. Even if they didn't score a first down at that point would have been game over. Then after the kickoff on the first play why not put at least a 4 man pass rush on Jones He had only completed 2 passes all day and on the long completion to the LSU 30 there is no way Jones completes that pass if he hadn't had all day to throw it. I have never understood the philosophy behind the Prevent defense. If I had a dollar for every game I have seen where the team with an offense that had been shut down for the whole game moved the ball into scoring position in 3 or 4 plays with the clock running out I would never have to work another day for the rest of my life.

That goes for both college and Pro football The Tiger defense had totally shut down Arkansas's passing game for 59 1/2 minutes, but that defensive scheme is not good enough for the last 30 seconds? I just don't get it >>>

Me either Bayou B. Great points.

4. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

That i can't understand...

My thougt going into that last ARKY drive was that their only weapon was to continue running the option and hope for the best. Maybe our dbs thought the same thing and played too close to the line. Sounds wacky but what other explanation is there?? The Advocate articles I have read said that Smith "simply got behind" the dbs on that first completion. Makes no sense.

5. LSU4Life

LSU4Life Founding Member

What makes it even worse in college is the clock stops at every first down. It's like having a bunch of timeouts. You can easily move down the field if the defense lets you keep hitting 1st downs. 30 seconds can feel like a lifetime.

6. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

So is your problem with using a prevent Defense to stop the Hail Mary with 30 seconds and 80 yards to go and no timeouts . . . or with the DB for not properly playing the defense that was called. I don't know about you but no matter what D you play, if a WR is allowed to get behind the DBs it doesn't matter what you call . . . the advantage is going to go to the WR and the long pass.

I don't prevent D either, but I know when it is needed. If there was 5 minutes left and similar yardage situation, then I would be against running the prevent. But with 30 seconds and 80 yards, you are pretty limited in what you can do to stop the long passes from being completed. In fact your best option is just to not let WR get past you. I promise (and I've just read this at the the advocate) that Saban did not tell his players to let the WR run past you. Using the prevent was smart, not covering a WR streaking down the field is stupid.