The facts

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu-i-like, Dec 20, 2013.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well he peaked in 2004.

Since then he is 66-47, about to be 66-48. In a weak conference. That's 9 years of mediocrity. Barely averaging 7 wins in a 13 game season.

You can argue what Peterson did at Boise State for that 10 year period is doing more with less.

I do agree about the "who the hell wants to be in Iowa" argument, however.

The bottom line is it should not cost you 1/2 a million a victory, as LSUDad pointed out.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I am actually on record as saying that he's overpaid overall. But given what he's got to work with, he's done a good job of staying competitive in a major conference. He is also undefeated vs Saban.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

He's got a $4 million salary to work with. There is no feeling sorry for the guy. He's being paid to win national championships, not attain 8 win seasons.

Michigan is paying that fatass similar money and he will be fired after next season if they are once again irrelevant. They won't wait 9 years (and ongoing) like Iowa.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So is UAB.

Richdog likes this.
  5. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

We've actually only had two bad runs under KF, not 9 years of mediority..... 2006/2007 was the first low point and 2011/2012 the second spin. Other than that, we played well.... two BCS bowls, four top 10 finishes...only a handful of teams can make that claim... also, in 2008 we lost four games by a combined total of 10 points, then pounded South Carolina in our bowl game. We were snakebit again in 2010, losing four games by a combined 11 points, then beating 10-2, #12 ranked Missouri in that bowl game.

You may have the opinion that the B!G is weak, that's okay.... our bowl game match ups with the SEC would show much greater parity than you believe, but, hey, why cloud the issue with game facts...lol...

Actually, I believe KF's best team was 2009...our 13 game win streak ended when Stanzi went down and we lost two thrillers to NW and tOSU back to back..... still got to a BCS game, which we won handily with Stanzi's return. That team could have played with any one.

All that said, I agree KF should be a consistent producer of 9 win seasons...with an 8 win season balancing out the 10 and 11 win seasons. This he hasn't done....and this is a sore point with even the most supportive fans. All I can say is he has a better agent than I do.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    LSUDad, cajdav1, islstl and 1 other person like this.
  6. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

Do you think he has missed out on Championships due to lack in recruiting? How much difference do you think there would be if he were able to land a couple more top recruits? Is there a side of the ball where Iowa struggles particularly? Do you think it could be a coordinator issue? Maybe KF can bring in a talented new coordinator who could also be a major asset on the recruiting trail. You said he admits Iowa is not Michigan or OSU, but I wonder what KF thinks it would take to become like one of those universities?

7. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

One of the problems that caused the 2011, 2012 seasons was a change in coordinators..... Norm Parker retired as DC and Ken O'Keefe (OC) moved on to the Dolphins and was replaced by former Texas OC, Greg Davis. Davis tried to revamp us in 2011 into more of a short passing team and it was a disaster. He still has us going east and west way too often.... and our offense seems to bog down a lot.... I'm not a big fan of Greg Davis...we'll see.

In the bigger picture, we could use a few more four star skill guys. We have had huge success in turning out pro linemen, TE's, linebackers and safeties, but, other than Shonn Greene, we produce few running backs or skilled wide outs who make it in the pros. I think KF's style of play restricts some recruits.... as we feature a skilled OL and power backs and we throw to our TE's a lot. A flashy four star wide out might rightfully question how often he would see the ball... and be a little disappointed some coach actually expected him to maintain a block downfield. Even though we've had some good cornerbacks, I'm not sure a four star corner recruit would want to always play more soft zone than man-to-man.

So I think part of it is game philosophy from the coach, who historically plays very few freshmen. We've seen an increase in freshmen playing of late, but KF is quite old school in red-shirting and player development. I found your last sentence interesting. I don't know what would happen if KF coached a school that basically gathered up four star players by brand name alone. I'd actually like to see that happen.... he's from Pennsylvania... and now that KF's kids are all out of high school.... I think the Penn State job would be perfect for him.