the fake punt

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerStagg, Jan 1, 2009.

1. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

there are pages & pages of bama fans comically ranting about miles' "classless" fake punt

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/foot...peach-bowl-me-thread-lsu-vs-georgia-tech.html

my favorite one is 'no one will remember that lsu blew out GA tech, people will only remember the fake punt'

i tried to respond but their board apparently doesn't have automatic activation.

anyway, i thought the fake punt was a nice call. i know i didn't want to give them the ball back right there. les & i were on the same page.

since when is it good sportsmanship to just give the other guy the ball when you don't have to. i mean - is this div 1 football or are we shooting hoops with our 8 yr old brother in the driveway.

1 person likes this.
  2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Right. We did not even score on that series. We did not run up the score with a fake punt, just simply maintained a drive to run off clock.

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Aw, Bama fans are just jealous because their team doesn't know how to execute one. Did'ja see how they tried to steal one from Miles' playbook against Florida in the SEC championship game and lost the game because of it ... in the same,ahem, arena?

Besides, what are they saying about Ga Tech's trying one thamselves?

4. Andouille

Andouille Guest

I can't help but believe there was some bad blood behind the scenes that prompted that. Miles has never played like that since he's been here at LSU. Very out of character.

I'm going to give Miles the benefit of the doubt and assume that there was a reason for it.

5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

The official coachspeak response was keep possession and run time off the clock.

I wonder if there might have been a little payback for the chop block early in the game?

6. Andouille

Andouille Guest

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnB5vqObkLw[/media]

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Naw, I already told ya: my brother's girlfriend works for a guy who heard that Les Miles played the over on the game and wuz tryin to cover the bet!!

8. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

In today's college footbal world, syle points mean everything and until we get a playoff system, I'm all for posting as many points on your opponent. That's the nature of the beast in a system with no playoff.

1 person likes this.
  9. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

Amen to that! I was going to post this exact thing before reading your entire post.
    I never understood why a team that's leading big in the 3rd quarter has to run 3 plays into the line and punt the ball back and give the other team a chance to come back? It can happen. It UGA Tech gets momentum, anything's possible.
    Anyone here remember the LSU/Troy game this year? People were leaving at the half (supposedly because it was cold...not because of the score) thinking the game was over. Troy didn't put us away, we got momentum and came back to win.

10. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

If the situation was reversed and we were getting blown out and the coach on the other sideline was say Nick Saban or Tubberville and he called a fake punt I wonder what this boards reaction would be?