the fake punt

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerStagg, Jan 1, 2009.

1. offshoretrash

offshoretrash Founding Member

To me there is a BIG difference in running up the score with a Jr or a Sr experienced QB (USC/FL) compared to getting a Fr more playing time in a setting like this. We played the last couple series with our back up defensive players. IMO that's NOT trying to run it up on them.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I imagine we would gripe about it. But that would primarily be because we were getting our a$$es handed to us.

"Class" is highly overrated in football, and if this football season is any indication at all, OU showed little class in running up scores, but they are the ones in the BCSNCG, not UT.

So be it. I like that it reinforces what a crazy dude Miles is. Other coaches cannot predict what he will do or when he will do it.

He faked a punt late against Miami, too.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Oh whatever. Isn't this the same fanbase whose team was throwing the ball with seconds left in a blowout over Auburn?

Besides, if that had been Saban who made the call, they'd be attributing it to his 'coaching prowess' or 'killer instinct.' But, I digress. Saban would never do that because he simply doesn't have the sack.

1 person likes this.
  4. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

Yup, you beat me to that point. The same complaint about LSU running up the score would have come from others if the beautiful long TD bomb to Lafell late in the game wasn't called back.

I like that "craziness" in Miles, or is that brilliance? I can bet that NO ONE watching the game saw the fake punt coming..........

5. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

And that is why it worked so flawlessly. It was brilliant.

6. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I can honeslty say, my reaction would be the same. I have never been one to criticize a coach for "running up the score" or passing when up by a huge margin. This is college football, "You play to win the game". No offense to anyone, but some of us need thicker skin.

7. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Alabama fans are just jealous that they don't have Lesticles.

8. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Just read elsewhere that Miles was p!ssed at Georgia Tech's chop blocking and also not happy with something Coach Johnson did in a joint press interview - possibly a perceived slam on Miles.

So Miles was going to try to run it up. Hence the fake punt, the multiple bombs, etc.

I'm betting that if Johnson said something unkind in front of reporters, he may have said more in private. Miles seems like the kind of guy who will punch you in the face if you go after his family.

If that's the case, then I fully support the late fake punt.

9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

From the Shreveport Times:
    By accident or design, Georgia Tech football coach Paul Johnson poked fun at LSU head coach Les Miles and defensive co-coordinators Doug Mallory and Bradley Dale Peveto at a press conference the day before the game. But LSU's coaches had the last laugh.

"I get a chuckle out of people when they say, 'It's really assignment defense,'" Johnson said in reference to what many opposing coaches say about defending the triple-option attack of Tech.

"When isn't it assignment defense? I mean I don't care what offense you're playing, you're in the wrong gap or you blow your coverage, you get lit up," Johnson said with Miles seated right next to him.

10. tigerbubba

tigerbubba Founding Member

If you want a laugh about this subject go to

www.bbuzzoff.com

you will see the thread on this topic. They are pretty p/o'd.:lol: