The Final Death throws of Toonces

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PodKATT, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

How do we know that toonces is in the lead? My 8-9 votes have gone to eliminating toonces.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Toonces Rocks....polka dot, scaredy cat tiger needs to be "fixed".

3. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Voted for F

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

i don't think people dislike "toonces" because it looks crappy, they dislike it because it's not traditional. the tiger in my avatar was the primary tiger from '77 to '97. then they moved to that script (that was pretty lame) for a short while. now we have the toonces, which for all intents and purposes looks fine, but isn't traditional. neither "toonces" nor the "eye" appeal to me at all. however, with the eye looking terrible anyplace but on midfield, they have to go with the toonces. unless they revert back to the :tigerhead, which believe it or not, is in the majority from people that i talk to. it's original and people can immediately recognize it. you think stanford alumni and fans are happy that they have a ridiculous looking tree? no, but at least they can probably agree that it's original and traditional.

to me, this is the logo of LSU: :tigerhead

the toonces and the eye are one and the same to me: dispensable.

1 person likes this.
  5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i agree. i look for that logo on merchandise whenver possible.

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

IMO, it looks crappy...

7. stevescookin

JayB, That was a good, rational defense of the "traditional" tiger. And it was exactly the type of response that I was hoping for because I don't understand the dislike for toonces. Heck, to tell you the truth, I didn't understand exactly what toonces really was.

I did understand that a lot of posters here didn't like it and try to sabotage it by calling the image toonces and exhorting other posters to vote against it whenever possible. I see now that the main reason for disliking toonces is that it is not "traditional".

I guess that it's hard for me to accept something as "traditional" when it began after I had already graduated. For me, the traditional tiger was the one stepping out of the stadium. I don't remember the other tiger images that graced shirts, decals and the like.....(Alzheimer's can be a daily adventure I guess.) As a kid I do remember the :eek:ldskule:, which appeared on a window decal on one of my dad's cars...Probably the white '61 Chevy BelAir station wagon with the crank down window on the tailgate. :thumb:

Anyway, I apologize to Mike the Tiger for disparaging his image in my previous post. It was done because it seemed others were disparaging toonces, which presents a more realistic profile that actually looks more like a tiger from a distance and less like a polka dot. Sorry Mike, you're still my man.:tigerhead. I really didn't understand the source of toonces derision so I was inspired to deride the :tigerhead.

Maybe, if they made a less circular profile of the :tigerhead from a different aspect or point of view, then it wouldn't look so much like a Boy Scout merit badge from the late '60s. Oops, did I do it again?

:lol:.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

just to make sure, you do know that the old style tiger head in jayb's avatar that he and i like, is drawn from a photo of one of the actual mikes? i think mike iv.:thumb:

9. stevescookin

It must have been drawn from a bad actual photo, I think.
    I found this, maybe they could draw a new, more realistic logo from a photo of a leaping Mike.

[​IMG]

10. stevescookin

Hre's the grambling tiger logo...we need to move on from this fronal head shot.

[​IMG]