The Future of Matt Flynn

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Feb 5, 2005.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

If this guy doesnt win the starting spot, will he transfer? I'm sure the question he will have to ask himself is does he want to be a tiger? or play? If he wants to play, I would think he would go 1-AA. He is too talented to sit anywhere. On the other hand, if he wants to remain a tiger and just keep competing, that is respectable. However, I always hate to see talent wasted, and if he rides the pine for 5 years, then that would be a big waste.

2. philter

philter Founding Member

He's in a tough spot...if Russell wins the job, then that means he's playing well..and if he's playing well he may go pro early. But..then he has to contend with a 2nd year Ryan Perrilloux. If JR plays poorly, then Flynn will get his shot...provided he can beat out a 1st year Ryan Perrilloux :D.

I'd respect him for staying or for leaving, but I do expect him to win the starting job for next year. I have high hopes for Matt, I think he will be a great QB.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I too think Flynn will be the starter next year. Both he and JR have had 2 yrs to learn the system and while it should open up a little under miles I think Matt will grasp it better and produce this year. I look for great things from him this year.

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I agree.. I think he is a better qb than JR and Miles will let him run the ball too... but I'm not sure if he will be out perrilloux...

5. philter

philter Founding Member

I don't think Ryan will win the starting job next year, but I do see him playing quite a bit. I think he'll play spot duty in several games, where a run/pass option for the QB is needed or called. Partly to keep him happy, and partly to get him involved and accustomed to running the offense (in his situation I'd like to burn his redshirt so he may be less inclined to leave with 4 years left).

6. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Coaches normally play their most experienced QB which should give Matt the edge over Ryan assuming that Russell goes pro after the 2005 season. Of course if Matt has consistency problems or if Ryan proves to be head-and-shoulders above Matt as the season progresses, keeping the starting position would be difficult.

7. philter

philter Founding Member

Yea there is no way to tell how Ryan will react to the big leagues. It's very rare for a true freshman QB to excel, but it is possible. He has more talent than JR or MF, so there is always a chance.

8. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

I honestly would not be shocked to see him leave and end up at one of these schools:

Baylor
    Texas

Texas for the obvious reason they are slim on QBs, and Baylor because he was heavily recruited by them and his dad played there.

9. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

10. stamant79

stamant79 Founding Member

I think we need to wait and see what RP does at the college level. He may set the world on fire than again he may not. I think going into next year Flynn and JR have the 1 and 2 spots over PR just because of the two years of playing time at the college level.