The Future of Matt Flynn

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Feb 5, 2005.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

LIke most of you, I wouldn't be surprised if Flynn transferred. Disappointed, yes.

Flynn is a competitive guy. He wasn't turned away when he originally signed here, knowing that Mauck would be the starter (and keep in mind, Russell and Flynn came to LSU knowing that Mauck STILL had two years remaining. Had we not won the National Title, I think Mauck would have been our starting QB this past season).

Both Flynn and RUssell, when they signed here, were already preparing themselves to sit as long as Mauck was still here. Mauck left early, opening the door to Russell and Flynn to get more playing time. Flynn was injured, and Russell leap-frogged him without much contest once the season started.

I think what happened in the SECCG a few years back, with Rohan going down, and Mauck stepping up to fill in when needed, and seeing BOTH of those guys go on to be drafted by the NFL, speaks volumes of what can happen to any of our QB's. You don't nec. HAVE to be a starter at an SEC program to be given your shot at a pro career. It takes but one injury to put you into a position to do some great things. Just look at JV last season!

I would guess that Flynn, at the LEAST, stays on for '05. If, by the end of this coming season, he's still 3rd on the depth chart, then I think he'll transfer down to a I-AA school and still have 2 years to compete--more than enough time to show what he can do.

There's no reason for him to transfer now because with a brand-new coach, who doesn't have an allegiance to anyone particular player, the competition to win, not only the QB job, but ALL jobs, are up in the air for anyone to step in and take.

Does Flynn want to start? You bet! No one wants to be a back-up...but I think Flynn is also a "team player"--that much was evident when he signed with LSU knowing that Russell had signed, and Mauck and Randall still had each 2 more eligible seasons at LSU.

He'll compete and remain a Tiger for '05. What transpires during the course of the season will dictate what his choice will be once the season is over. I think our QB depth chart (in no particular order) for '05 will be:

Matt Flynn, Soph-RS
    JaMarcus Russell, Soph-RS
    Ryan Perrilloux, Freshman
    Jordan Reever

I'm sure if, once the fall practices start happening, if Ryan Perrilloux is behind the other 2 in terms of understanding the offense, or is having trouble adjusting to the speed of the college game, and it's clear to the staff, I expect RP to allow for a redshirt--seeing as he wouldn't want to waste a year if he's not expected to play meaningful minutes.

Again, RP has the talent. It's just a matter of him having the poise and experience, come August, to lead what will surely be one of the SEC's title contending teams.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

First, threads like this are worthless, knocking a guy out of the QB race before it even starts.

Second, if every players at every position on the team that got bat out transfered out we would only be a shell of the team we are. Look at the depth chart and notice how many players in their second, third and fourth years were not starters last year. Why does a QB have to be any different? Think Tennessee was glad that Tee Martin didn't transfer? How about us with Joe Addai, he could have decided to transfer very easily after both Broussard and Vincent had passed him on the depth chart; or any of the other great players over the years that have played college ball and waited their turn, some never to become starters although if they would have transfered to a lesser school may have started?

Teams are loaded with good and great players their perservere, have patience and stay committed to the journey they set out on when they signed with their college. Hopefully all 3 of the QB's on this team will follow suit.

3. friday

friday Founding Member

you make some great points - the elite teams that compete for the nc year end year out, are very deep because they recruit quality players that stick around to have a chance of winning it all. that's what separates team like FSU, USC, miami, etc from the rest of the pack and now, LSU. every team is going to have a lavelle hawkins. however, there's something different about the QB position. every QB prospect seems to be an athlete that was the star of his HS team, the PG of the basketball team, ace of the pitching staff. these guys always are on the field, with the ball in their hand, leading their teams. you take that away from these guys and they're now holding clipbards. impatience takes hold, an opportunity appears to arise somewhere to be the man, to get on the field, to have a chance to impress the scouts. It has to be just a real difficult decision for these QBs who are thinking of transferring. All it takes is one play and you're seeing considerable playing time. for flynn, he's playing in a top 10 program, already with a ring, he may decide to transfer if he doesn't win the job in sping/fall. he may feel the only real shot at showcasing his talent is elsewhere. it just seems like an uphill battle when flynn is competing against two of the more highly recruited QBs with one already with diety status. then again, remember the way david green beat out highly regarded dj shockey. tough decsion if it comes to that for flynn...stay tuned.

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I agree Cajdav, this is just an assinine thread. Talking about Russell going pro early just seems ludicrous, and saying who has the inside track to start is equally foolish. Russell has shown more than Flynn to this point, but who knows? And while the odds are stacked against RP, the kid will have a shot.

As for draftability in the NFL...take a look at Randall Gay. You obviously don't HAVE to be a starter and really good in college to play at the next level.

5. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

I don't know if you watched LSU last year but Russ will not be going professional any time soon. He couldn't even break a tackle last year. He was supposed to be this durable runner but I just don't see it yet. If he is a better runner then he is a passer then I can't see this guy even starting once RP get adjusted. Red shirt RP is a big mistake if you ask me. I think if Russ and Matt are struggling he could get some PT sooner then one thinks. :yelwink2:

As far as Matt is concerned he will get the starting job if he earns it in practice. I think who ever makes the lease amount of mistakes in scrimmages and game time situations will do just fine. :geauxtige

Remember that the Tigers are loaded in all areas, if the QB cannot throw into double and triple team coverage’s we will win. There comes a time when you have to decide to tuck the ball and run for a few yards rather the just throw it away or up for grabs. Sometimes you just have to punt the thing away if nothings there. :thumb:

I think this years QB competition will be far more exciting then last years. We could even see a three QB rotation if no one steps up as the man. Does anyone know if CLM ever used a two-man QB system ala CNS? :crystal:

6. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

You've recused yourself from the conversation by showing your ignorance.

Name me ONE SINGLE RECRUITING service-or even one quote from a Russell coach or even Russell himself!-that showed where Russell was supposed to be a highly mobile or even durable quarterback? He's a pocket passer, shotgun oriented gunslinger, and EVERYONE knew that...

Remember how JaMarcus was like the #1 "Pro-Style" qb when he was recruited? Robert Lane was the runner, and he was listed as the #1 dual threat run/pass quarterback. Russell wasn't even listed as the same style of quarterback my most services...

On a larger note, I agree with cajdav that this thread doesn't serve much purpose, but I will throw in my two cents...

We saw Matt Flynn for 2 series all year. We saw Russell come in and win games against the likes of Oregon State and do everything BUT lead the Tigers to the most dramatic come-from-behind win in recent memory against Iowa.

We have a known quantity at quarterback in JaMarcus Russell, who will return with the most starts, game experience, conference game experience, and bowl game experience. We have a guy in Matt Flynn who got some PT last year in only one meaningful series all year. We will also have an 18 year old away from home for the first time whose shown to have great talent on the high school level.

Bottom line is that JaMarcus is your starter. Replay the 4th quarter of the Capital One Bowl, and look at that performance, with a healthy Skyler Green, a once again sure-handed Dwayne Bowe, and the brilliance of Russell comes shining through.

He is your starter. Period. Let Perriloux RS. That's what's best for him, and the team.

7. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

I like to think RP will redshirt next season. I know the kid has a world of talent and that he has a strong desire to compete . . . but redshirting might be his smartest option to get as much playing time as possible in college.

I get the feeling many fans think RP will jump early to the NFL eventually. I hope he doesn't, even if he is as talent as advertised, because for LSU to stay with the elite teams playing for NCs in the NCAA we will need some of these all world players to stick it out 4 years.

I have no idea who will start next season, but I don't think RP will beat out JR or Flynn. I'd hate to see RP waste a season getting garbage minutes at the end of games when he could red shirt and be more useful over a 4 year span.

We certainly don't have any excuses for the QB position, we have a load of talent at that position.

8. TigerEducated

Great post, and that one right there says it all...With Fisher returning, both the instruction, the teaching, and the philosophy will be in place to provide the position-and whoever mans it next fall-to find no recourse in terms of excuses...

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I think you guys are giving waaaaaaay too much unearned credit to RP and not really being fair to Matt. I would not be shocked at all to see Matt land the starting job for the next season. In fact, I hope he does get it because I think he is the better QB.

10. TigerEducated

I agreed with everything you said up until right here...

What makes you think he is the better quarterback? What has he shown you? Regardless of what JaMarcus Russell has or hasn't shown you, what has Flynn shown you?

I'm waiting...This is going to be interesting...