The Future of Matt Flynn

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Feb 5, 2005.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

One thing to remember regarding RP's playing time as a true freshman.

Micheal Vick was redshirted as a freshman at VT. As talented as RP is, I doubt he measures up to Mike Vick athletically.

2. Ktulu7

Ktulu7 Freshman

I say, Russell is the starter "at this time" by default, but during Spring, he'll have to battle Flynn for the position. Flynn wasn't given much of a chance or any PT last year, so it will be interesting. Perilloux is still just a freshman, he should be redshirted, period. If he leaves earlier than LSU needs, I'm sure ya'll will be able to pick up another QB again next year. I say, just keep rollin', and plan to keep Perilloux for 5 years to begin with just in case. Other than that, there's no way to tell whether Flynn or Russell are better QBs right now. I just hope that whoever wins the position, goes out and kicks some butt. At least LSU isn't dealing with having 3 freshmen QBs with NO experience whatsoever like Tech did this year.. for the team with the #1 passing offense in the country for so many years.. wow it sucked to see that this year.. Thank God for Ryan Moats. lol Anyway, whoever wins QB will rock for ya'll. Your recievers are excellent.

3. TN Tiger

TN Tiger Founding Member

I say bring back Rick Clausen!:thumb:

4. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

It seems like just about everyone of you wants RP to red shirt. From what he said about Russ and Flynn, red shirting is not on his mind. I think he is going to bust his @$$ and try to become the starter. I think asking him to red shirt would be like slapping him in the face. I am under the assumption that he is going to give LSU 4 years (if not less) no more. From the looks of it he will try to test the NFL ASAP. Just think if RP won the starting job and had a tremendous season. We could have another Mike Vick on our hands.

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

nother thought on Flynn...Saban is about as good a judge of talent as there as. He went with Russell, and stuck with him until the Cap One bowl. Not sure I'd disregard that.

6. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Guess you're just hoping we ignored that comment about how you said JaMarcus was a disappointment since he was supposed to be a mobile quarterback, right? LOL!

As for these comments...again, I'm amazed...

What recruit comes in and tells the media, "I'm not ready for SEC. I'm really probably undersized and not confident I can grasp the game at the Division One level in terms of the physical and mental aspects of the game, nor can I be counted on to develop the maturity necessary to become a starter and leader on the team. I should be redshirted for the good of the team."

Please, point out one to me...What would you EXPECT a hotshot recruit to do? Give me a break...Of COURSE we all understand he WANTS to start, but a lot of hotshots get to college, and say, "Oh sh!t......."

You cannot be serious when you say, "He'll start because he plans on starting." can you?

You cannot be serious when this kid has never taken the field, and you're already comparing him to Michael Vick, can you?

Vick redshirted his first year on campus, and even as a RS sophomore-in his THIRD year on campus-was a sub-par passer in terms of touch and footwork (from a technique standpoint). These were Kiper's words on draft day.

The last time I heard ANY fan compare a football player to Michael Vick was Arkansas in '01 when they were saying that Matt Jones would be the next Michael Vick...

Nice to know you're aligning with those mindsets on the Pigpen...

Tell us some more about JaMarcus Russell and how disappointed you are at his rushing stats this year...

7. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

TE, these are the same posters that thought JaMarcus Russell or Matt Flynn would start over Matt Mauck back in 2003 because they had so many **stars** behind their names.....

RP will be just fine as long as he keeps his focus on school and football. He'll get his turn....

I was at the Cap One bowl. JR will be our starter next season....

The same people wanted Booty over RO early in their career.....If you guys remember, RO struggled his first couple years at LSU. He turned out just fine if you ask me.....

8. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Before you call someone's thread assinine, read what was said.. i didnt write the guy off.. its merely a hypothetical question.. plug in the russell or perriloux for flynn and hte question still remains.. will all of these qb's stick around? and you can't compare a nickel corner with a qb... in order to move on to the next level, a qb has to play, and unless they are in a 2 qb system, they have to start. each of these qb's has the talent to play at the next level, so to sit the bench for a whole college career doesnt make much sense.

9. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Craig Nall played what...One season as a starter at Northwestern, I think...Four of the five years he was in college...and so did Rohan Davey...One year at LSU he started...

It's possible to go on and have a productive professional career...Both of those former Tigers are future NFL starters...

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I had never heard of former Nebraska QB Vince Ferragamo until he turned up as the starter for the LS Rams. He was the Husker's "passing QB" and thus never got any playing time in college, yet he led the Rams to the Superbowl in the 1979 season.