The Future of Matt Flynn

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Feb 5, 2005.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Well, this thread sure went to sh*t...

2. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

I'll say this...I'd much prefer to have a guy like RP think his abilities are good enough to lead him to the starting job, than a guy like Robert Lane who opted out of competing against Flynn and Russell. Now that being said, MF and JR will have 2 1/2 years of college football experience by the time RP steps on campus. And it's not like MF and JR are a couple of walk-ons, they were highly recruited, scholarship athletes. So, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that RP is going to come to LSU and set the world ablaze as a freshman. Chris Leak at UF was the top quarterback in the country as HS senior, went to Florida and they finished 8-5. RP is a sensational athlete but you have to be realistic with your expectations for a true freshman.

3. gzilla

gzilla Founding Member

I think that there is a better chance that Russell will go pro after this year than there is of RP starting over Russell.

I don't think you understand the kind of talent that Russell has. If he were to enter the draft today, even with the inconsistency that he played with last year, he would be drafted in the top 4 rounds based strictly on potential.

There is no question that Russell has plenty of room for improvement from last year. But, Jimbo's QBs historically have played much better in their 2nd year starting than in their 1st. In 2002, Matt Mauck only surpassed 200 yards once (215) prior to getting hurt. In 2003, he was a totally different QB. If it clicks for Russell, he could be an All-American.

4. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

You got to be kidding right? JR could not figure out how to look past his primary receiver in the SEC, you think he can uncover complex, disguised NFL schemes? JR may have all the talent in the world, but if you can't (or won't) learn the play book he will never make it to the pros. How would he do on the NFL Wonderlic Test?

I am not trying to bash you but please explain what improvements JR needs to make to be a 4th round draft pick next year.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

^^^^ I'm with Beaux-Bo. In the NFL, they don't draft people based off potential like they do in the NBA. Jamarcus would most definetely not be drafted at all if he were to enter the draft today. A team would be crazy to take that kind of risk on a kid who didn't prove much.

6. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

JR would be drafted in the first 4 rounds based on potential?

Dude, you are either an idiot or just that immersed with him if you think that......

7. philter

philter Founding Member

Yup, I'm with last two posters...you are delusional. NFL teams cannot afford to waste a pick on an unproven guy. "Potential" players are invited to try out for the team (a la Randall Gay).

8. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

The definition of potential in the NFL (especially QBs) is not judged on physical potential (see Ryan Leaf). The potential is based on a certain skill set and a brain (see Tom Brady/Matt Mauck). Under these circumstances I like Matt Flynn's chances better than JR. Just my $.02

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I would mention Mauck in the same sentence as Brady. Very few QB's can be compared to him right now and Mauck aint one of them, that's for sure. I love the guy but he doesn't have near the arm, mechanics, etc. of Brady. Brady has a lotmore physical tools than many people think. I gree that the mind is the most important thing for a QB to have, but having everything else is very important as well.

If JR were to come out next year and throw for 4000 yards with a 2.5 to 1 td/int. ratio, he would be drafted next season. If he were to come out and play like he did in 2004 he would be passed over and have to sign as a free agent. If he plays just good next year with like 2500 yards passing with a 1.5 to 1 td/int ratio he may get a look see, if the scouts think he improved a lot and that he has the potential to keep getting better but there is no way it would be a good idea for him to come out.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

lead was chosen 2nd overall based on his PHYSICAL TALENTS since he had no brain. you contradicted your point.