The games that turned it around?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mgreer1, Jul 15, 2004.

1. mgreer1

mgreer1 Founding Member

While at work the other day I began to wonder at which point in Saban's tenure did the program get turned around. I could only think of two games that seemed to change the way the fans and players think.

Game 1) Back in 2000 we had just come off of a lose to the University of Alabama Birmingham. The "I am a Booty and I do what I want" game. That could have been the worst feeling I have ever felt at a sporting event. Then the following Tennesse and the Great Pumpkin came to town. The whole week we heard about how death valley no longer intimidated opponents and we would be crushed. So two men by the name of Rohan and LaBrandon showed us how much fun and how loud we could make Tiger Stadium. I can still hear the hum and then the rush onto the field as through it was the charge of some great battle. Chills

Game 2) On to the next season. After Sept 11 our game with the Aubies was moved to the end of the season. No one at the time realizing that this game would decide who went to the SEC Championship. This game was so hyped up, but of course who ever won would lose to Tennesse LOL. Anyway Auburn comes out in typical Tubby fashion and jumps on the eye. Saban then pulls the old rabbit out of the hat and on side kicks it. I remember watching highlights after the game and the look on Tubby's face was priceless. After that it was Davey to Reed all night. And who can forget the moron kicker screwing with the band. He of course got punked by the tubas. :hihi:

I picked these two games because they were at home and they left the biggest impression on my LSU heart. So feel free to offer your point of views or your memorys from the games.

2. Carface

Carface What the...?

Though I've loved LSU my whole life, I've only recently had a chance to start attending the game. Though I've only been to a handful, my favorite was when we beat Auburn this past season. They were supposed to defeat us because Cadillac Williams is supposedly unstoppable. But when we manhandled Cadillac and the rest of the Auburn team, that was a great feeling. Everyone was proudly ringing their keys in the air in mock fashion. Payback for the embarassment from the year before was sweet. And rather than sing "Hey Baby", the student section was singing "Hey Auburn, will you be my b***h". It was a great feeling.

3. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Actually, the drum line was responsible for most of the carnage. Gotta give props to the drum line. Those guys rule.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I think every season has a defining game. Like you said the big win vs Tenn. had to be the defining game of the 2000 season as it turned the entire season around after that horrible loss to UAB. In 2001 I thought I defining game was when we went to Bama and lit them up like they had never been lit up before on their home field and gave our offense the confidence and knowledge of how great they were. In 2002 the defining game was UF as it started that nasty streek of injuires and losing Mauck ended up being so costly. Last season the defining game had to be the firs tUGA game, coming back with tremendous support from the fans after UGA scored on the long screen pass.

5. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

Nope, it was the Tubas, the drumline had nothing to do with it. Trust me I was there!
    ;-)

6. captainpodnuh

Big John in the drum line came back after the game and boy was he fired up about it.

7. Tigerbnd05

john???, there were a lot of john's in the drum line!

8. captainpodnuh

Yes, there were several John's on the drum line this year.
    Not Lil' Jon Alcon from Da Parish.
    BIG John. Long Hair, Big Goatee, Big Guy. Snare. Might have been lead/captain/etc. He was a mainstay and just graduated.

9. Tigerbnd05

Jonathan Helmers is Big'Jon as you put it. He was captain for two years, but not that year. Jon Alcon is Captain this year. I can imagine they were mad cause they had to march around the idiot. But the problem at the end after the show was with the tubas and baritones.

10. Rath21

Rath21 Founding Member

I was right there with the Duval incident. I played cymbals that year, that was my last year in band. Some fun stuff.

Anyway, IMO, our defining game had to be the 2001 SEC Championship. We weren't supposed to beat Tenn. Tenn. was on their way to the rose bowl for a national title appearance with Miami. At the end of the first half we were losing, but the second half was much different. When Davey and Toefield went down, Mauck and Davis stepped up. This proved LSU had the depth to win a championship. We weren't supposed to beat Tenn. that year just like we weren't supposed to beat UGA twice and Oklahoma this year.