The games that turned it around?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mgreer1, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Consensus

Consensus Founding Member

Another Good Thread Hi-Jacked!

Honorable Mention for 2003:

Florida - Yeah, we lost, but we learned a lot about ourselves. The O-Line improved greatly after that (with the only exception being the Ole Miss game - kudos to their much maligned defense!) We learend that we were vulnerable to the middle pass to the half back when bringing a rush. We learned how valuable Jack Hunt was as the "quarterback" of the defense.

2. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

You're right on both accts. I couldn't come up with Helmers. I wasn't thinking about the after the show incident, more of on the field.

Lil' Jon is a close friend's lil' bro. Since we all tailgate together, you have to differentiate between the 2 Jon's.

Thanks for clearing all that up for me.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Totally agree here. It's the "gettin over the hump" kinda game.

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

After the comeback win against GT in the 2000 Peach Bowl, I thought we might have something special brewing. It really wasnt that big of a game, but we saw what Davey was capable of and what we had to look forward to. That was the last of many upsets that year.

5. Blade Brown

Blade Brown Founding Member

Jon Helmers would be so proud that we're talking about him on this forum... :hihi:

Tiger Drumline '94

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

The first Georgia game in the '03 season was defining, as well. We proved we could beat top 10 competition and were poised to make our run. Honorable mention goes to the Florida game. I'm not sure we'd have made it down the stretch had we beaten them. The loss really cleared our heads.

7. Consensus

Consensus Founding Member

That Georgia Game also broke the "Day Game in Tiger Stadium Curse", the "T.V. Game Against Ranked Competition Curse", and the "Lee Courso Picks Us Curse" (he's actually brought us luck when Game Day comes to town.)

8. UT88-92

UT88-92 Freshman

Good God! The carnage! Can we not talk about THAT game!! LOL

Yeah UT thought after knocking out Davey and winning the first half that they made the same EXACT mistake made by UF fans who thought UT would never win in the swamp and started planning for the rose bowl. What happened? We got our arses handed to us!

And yes, after that game LSU has been tough!

A very tough team that has steadily improved. The result? National Title!

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I'd have to say the UF loss was the turning point. Our O-line had no performed anywhere near their abilities and after that loss they had a meeting to never get pushed around again and vowed to take it to the opponents. As they say, the rest is history.

There were still many doubts by our own but especially the media after the first UGA game....since we didn't win it, UGA lost it. ha!

And UT88-92, we won our NC after our Manning (rohan) left and when our Tee Martin (Matt Mauck) stepped in. (sorry matt, was just making a point.)

10. UT88-92

UT88-92 Freshman

Tirk,

You are right there are some similarities. We both had tough defenses and we "Almost" were there but needed that little PUSH. Mauck seemed to provide it...