The Golden Age of LSU Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TBTrumpet, Nov 21, 2016.

1. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

For a long time on this board it was said that we were living in the best era of football ever played at LSU and that we should enjoy it while we could. It definitely was a wild, crazy, amazing ride, but I'm sure we can all agree that it has come to and end.

Lets take a look back. In my opinion, this era of dominance began in 2001 and ended in 2013. I'm sure there are some who want to include 2000 in it, and there are those who will argue that the golden age ended on 1/9/2012. It's open to interpretation.

Here are the numbers for 2001 - 2013
    9 ten win seasons, 6 of which were 11+ win seasons.
    7 top ten finishes, 5 of which were top 5 finishes
    4 SEC Championships
    2 National Championships (and an argument can be made for 1/2 of another)

That's one hell of a run, and I am glad I got to witness it (many of those early years in The Golden Band from Tigerland). During this time LSU also shared the main stage with Southern Cal (2002-2008) and Florida (2006-2009) who had much shorter but still impressive eras of dominance, plus Alabama (2008+) whose era currently continues.... much to our annoyance...

How do you look at this time period? When do you think the new LSU head coach will usher in a new era of dominance? My guess is 2018 at the earliest.

2. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Minus the 2011 season, the era of LSU dominance ended after the 2007 season. Since that time LSU has had some decent seasons, but made it to no significant bowl game, and struggled in many mediocre bowls.

Miles single handily wasted some of the best talent and teams in CFB, with mediocre QB recruiting and development, and stubbornness to evolve past the aged Power-I run game.

But it was a great ride and I enjoyed every minute of it.

shane0911 and Rouxleaux like this.
  3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

What a crock of shit! I guess after Bear Bryant retired Bama was doomed to mediocrity for ever. When Tom Landry died it was the end of the Dallas Cowboys. If Vince Lombardi would have still been around, i bet Brett Favre would have had a successful run at Green Bay. Yes the past 15 years has been pretty good and now we are in transition. That doesn't mean that LSUs best days are in the past.

shane0911 and Rouxleaux like this.
  4. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

Try reading the whole post. Here's the last two sentences: When do you think the new LSU head coach will usher in a new era of dominance? My guess is 2018 at the earliest.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Why would anyone read past the first paragraph ?

6. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

A great post @TBTrumpet although somewhat limited to personal opinion in some ways. On when a new era of dominance begins; the answer is a "guess" at best. At this point, there are too many unknowns. Who will the coach be? Will we get a good QB for a change (in my opinion, something we need as much as a coach). Who will the next OC be? LSU can still dominate. The question is who can come here and reshape the mess from the last few years into a solid program?

If we get a good QB, OC, AND a good Coach... then we will have the makings of a great LSU football team.

7. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

The era ended when the Gumps beat us in NC game.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Bama is currently dominant. We were nowhere near that bc of the idiot under the hat. But he was also the reason we were very good.

I look forward to getting a coach that can get us to that level. We are long overdue.

Brian and LSUpride123 like this.
  9. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

This is painfully true re Miles.

10. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

It has been a great run. I talked to a Miami fan in the middle of our run and his advice was the same....enjoy it while it lasts.

However, we have so much talent in the state of Louisiana that I am not ready to give up yet. I still believe the right coach can turn us into a playoff contender again and win another NC.

Brian, lsu-i-like and shane0911 like this.